Saturday, January 1, 2011

Self Portrait

John described Jesus like this:
(Take time to read and imagine with me.)

"..I saw...
One like the Son of Man,
clothed with a garment down to His feet
and girded about the chest with a golden band.
His head and hair were white like wool,
as white as snow,
and His eyes were like a flame of fire;
His feet were like fine brass,
as if refined in a furnace,
and His voice as the sound of many waters;
He had in His right hand seven stars,
out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword,
and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength."

"...and He who sat on the white horse was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, ad His name is called the Word of God...and out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations...And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No wonder John fell at Jesus' feet like a dead man.
But Jesus laid His right hand on him
and said, "Do not be afraid."

He said other words describing Himself
and that's what I am going to write next.

This is how Jesus describes Himself.

"I am the Alpha and Omega,
the First and the Last."

"I am the First and Last. I am He who lives,
and was dead,
and behold,
I am alive forevermore. Amen.
I have the keys of Hades and Death."

"...I hold the seven stars in my right hand
and I walk in the midst of the seven golden lampstands..."

"I am the First and the Last.
who was dead, and came to life.."

"...I have a sharp two-edged sword..."

"...I am the Son of God,
who has eyes like a flame of fire,
and my feet are like fine brass..."

"...I have the seven Spirits of God
and the seven stars..."

"...I am holy, I am true.
I have the key of David.
I open and no one shuts,
and I shut and no one opens."

"..I am Amen,
the Faithful and True Witness,
the Beginning of the creation of God..."

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last."

"I am the Root and Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He did not say the words like I said them in first person.
He said them like this:
"These things say Him who is..."

He was describing Himself apart from Himself
but He Himself was speaking.

He probably described Himself in each particular way
for each church's needs and strengths.
I'll have to check it out.

The next to last verse of Revelation has these words from Jesus.

"Surely I am coming quickly."

Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!

No comments: