Friday, February 25, 2011

3+3+3

I hear and read many things and I sometimes question the truth of the spiritual concepts of what I hear and read. I've decided to do two things to help me gain a point of reference in order to discern whether these concepts are accurate.

I intentionally read a chapter in the Gospels every day. This helps me think about Jesus and reminds me of His ways. I love to read about Him because I love Him and I also like to put myself in the stories as if I were the person to whom He was relating.

Just yesterday, I decided to also read a chapter in the epistles every day. These are the letters written to the body of Christ by different apostles and since there is nothing new under the sun, their words of warning, teaching, and exhortation are relevant for our church life today.

It is important to stay close to Jesus and to hear His words to His bride. If we abide in Him and His words abide in us, then we will know the truth and the truth will set us free. The truth won't batter us; it will better us. The truth won't condemn us; it will convict us. The truth won't confuse; it will clarify. Oh, how I long for truth. The sum of God's Word is Truth.

I know one truth for sure. Jesus said, "This is the work of God-to believe on Him whom God has sent." We can get caught up in all kinds of 'works of God.' "This is what God is doing," we say. Is it? Are we sure?
If we believed in Him, we would be doing the works of God, and, if we really did believe in Him, we really would be doing the works of God.

And I know this. Jesus' last words to the disciples and hundreds of others before He ascended into heaven were these: "Go into all the world and make disciples of every nation, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even until the end of the world."

Three things:
Believe in Him.
Make disciples.
Remember He is with us always.

Too often, we become self-righteous in our work of 'believing God.'
Too often, we are militant in our making of disciples.
And, too often, we form elitist groups in the body of Christ,
believing that God has chosen to be with 'us' especially.

No wonder people don't come to church.
No wonder people leave church with a grieving spirit
and a wounded soul.

So what does the Lord require of us?
To do justly as we believe in Him.
To love mercy as we make disciples.
And to walk humbly as we remember
He is with us always.
Three things.

And how can we do these things in this way?
By abiding in Him.
By obeying His Word.
And by trusting Him.
Three more things.

Perhaps if I focused on the simple deep truths
of the eternal things I do know,
I won't be so confused about the things
that I do not know.
I am sure that following these truths
could keep me busy for a very long time.

It's back to the Basics again for me;
Back to rebuilding a foundation.

For unless the Lord builds the house,
they labor in vain who build it.

And unless the Lord guards the city,
the watchmen stay awake in vain.

Three plus three plus three.
Believe in Him. Make disciples. Remember He is with us.
Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly.
Abide. Obey. Trust.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jesus loves the little ones like me, me, me
Jesus loves the little ones like me, me, me
Little ones like me
Sat upon His knee
Jesus loves the little ones like me, me, me

Jesus loves the little ones like you, you, you
Jesus loves the little ones like you, you, you
Little one like you
Talked to Jesus, too
Jesus loves the little ones like you, you, you

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I'm glad you posted this. Thank you!