Saturday, February 19, 2011

Seeking or Wandering

Psalm 119:10-"With my whole heart have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!"

I noticed this verse today.
I saw what my mother had written about it in her journal
since I had copied it down on the verse card I have in my Bible Memory Box.

She wrote, (focusing on the word 'wander') -"..not a deliberate turning away-which we would reject-but an unfocused, unnoticed drift, which is possible even when 'with my whole heart I have sought You.'

I checked out Webster.

Sought; Seek-
~to try to find
~search for
~to go to
~resort to
~explore
~to ask or inquire for
~to try to discover
~to try to get
~to investigate

Wander-
~to move or go aimlessly about
~ramble, roam
~to move idly from one point to another
~to stray from home, friends, etc.
~to go astray in mind or purpose
~to drift away from a subject
~to be disjointed; incoherent
~to meander, as a river

If we are seeking something, we are being intentional in finding it.
If we are wandering, we are not being intentional about finding anything.

If we are seeking for a destination, we will use a map or a compass.
If we are wandering, we will get lost and not even know who or what
we are lost from.

We cannot stop seeking without soon wandering.

Suppose we are in a boat and want to get to the other side.
Without an oar or a motor, we will not have the 'power'
to obtain that which we seek.
We will soon be adrift.

There is a 'rest' in God.
But it is a 'seeking rest' and not a lazy, wandering rest.

We can be one who seeks God with all of our hearts,
but with the Psalmist we should pray,
"Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!"

Because it can so easily happen.
Life is full of distractions.
And we need His grace and help
to seek Him with all of our hearts
minute by minute of every day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
O to grace how great debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now, like a fetter,
Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above.

(Robert Robinson, 1758)

No comments: