Saturday, February 26, 2011

Acts

I've been reading the book of Acts. The portrait of the mega church today is quite different from the portrait of the early church. I wonder what Paul would say to the churches of today? I wonder which epistle he would 'copy and send' if he could get on-line with us.

There are some thought-changing-life-changing verses in this book.
These are some of my favorite.

Acts 14:2,3-"But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brethren. Therefore they stayed there a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who was bearing witness to the word of His grace, granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands."( I love that they did not run from the conflict, although a short time later, they did run from a violent attempt on their life. But you can't preach the gospel if you're dead, can you? I also love how Jesus bore witness to the word of His grace by granting signs and wonders to be done by their hands.)

Acts 17:11, 12a-The Bereans.."were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. Therefore, many of them believed..." (Receive the word readily and search the Scriptures to see if that word is true.)

Acts 17:23-28-Paul's speech to the men of Athens-"..I perceive that in all things you are very religious; for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands, Nor is He worshiped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things.
And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being,..." (The purpose of our existence in this place and at time is so that we would seek Him and grope for Him and find Him..although He is not far from any one of us...)

Acts 20:24-Paul knew that chains and tribulations awaited Him in his travels and still he said, "But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.."(There seems to be a direct correlation between not counting our lives dear to ourselves and being able to finish our race and completing the ministry He's given us with joy.)

No comments: