Saturday, February 12, 2011

Desire Fulfilled

She was a Canaanite woman.
She heard that Jesus was in the area
and she went to Him and cried out,
"Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David!
My daughter is severely demon-possessed."

And Jesus said not a word to her.
He ignored her. First offense.

Then His disciples came and urged Him to send her away.
She was getting on their nerves.
"Send her away, for she cries after us."
And He said, "God sent me to help the lost sheep of Israel only."
Second offense.

She was a Gentile, not a lost sheep of Israel.
She was just lost.

Then she came and worshiped Him,
saying, "Lord, help me!"

But He answered and said,
"It is not good to take the children's bread
and throw it to the little dogs."
I have a hard time with Him on this one.
It's His third and worse offense.

I've heard that the little dog word actually
means little pet but I still don't think
it was very nice. I am not saying anything
here that I haven't already told Him.

Then the desperate woman said to him,
"Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs
eat the crumbs which fall from
their master's table."

How did she come up with that?
It impressed Him.
She agreed with Him but asked for more.
I love that.

And then He said the most wonderful words
in the world,
"O woman, great is your faith.
Let it be as you desire."

And it was so.
Her daughter was healed that very hour.
Alleluia.

I usually cry two times
when I read this story.
Once when Jesus seems so mean
and once when He calls her a woman
of great faith.

I think sometimes it seems like Jesus
isn't answering our pleas.
Sometimes it seems like He has favorites
and we're not one of them.

What would happen if we refused to be offended in Him?
What would happen if we didn't keep track
and say in our minds,
"Three strikes-You're out, God!
I've given You a chance and You don't work."

This woman was certain that He had what she needed
and she was willing to push through any obstacles
to get what she wanted from Him.

She knew that even crumbs from His hand
would be enough to heal her daughter.
She did not insist on
having the whole loaf.

I guess that is what faith is, isn't it?

Faith is being sure that He has what we need
and being willing to persevere
through seeming offenses from Him
to get to the goodness He holds in His hand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Scripture-Matthew 15:21-28-NKJV)

No comments: