Monday, February 28, 2011

Hertzler Doings~ Feb.28-Mar.6, 2011

Mon.-Fell asleep last night listening to wind and spring peepers. Slept through the night with only one large pain pill taken before bedtime! Susan woke up with swollen eye and went into school late. I bought some antihistamine at CVS and took it back to school and gave her a dose. It's wild, windy, and warm and I don't know where to begin. Made a big kettle of vegetable beef soup. Washed clothes. Tidied bedroom and bathroom. Found sweet notes from Philip and Michael they had written for Mother's Day years ago. Blogged them. It began to rain in the afternoon. Phil and Freeman had poured the footers for the new shed in the morning. The cement dried in time. Phil and Philip sent some cattle to the livestock auction in Lynchburg and went there in the eve. to see how things sold. Susan had lots of Monday homework. She took Michael's advice about her eye and said to some people, "You should see the other guy." As soon as Philip got in from work he checked on her and asked if anyone made fun of her. He said earlier that he was going to beat the crap out of any guy who made fun of her but I guess he won't get to since nobody made fun of her. Michael and I saw the duck enjoying the rain. The chickens had scattered. I said to Michael,"Come watch the duck. He's worshiping God in the rain." He lifted his head and moved his mouth, "Praise the Lord," he quacked over and over. Susan had to laugh when I told her about it. He ruffled his feathers and took a long needed bath. I remember how my mother would get us to run out and get wet in the rain. It seemed to be the thing we did when we had a warm rain. 'Hey! It's raining! Let's get out there now!' I loved the squishy green grass and the way it splattered as we ran barefoot through the saturated lawn. What a wonderful mother she was. Is. I'm sure she would still run out into the rain if she didn't have neighbors and an oxygen tank. ///I am thankful for the privilege of being able to sight read music and so I can play right through the hymn book and learn songs I never even heard before. I am thankful for the healing that's taking place in my spirit and that I feel like I am beginning to feel a solid floor under my feet as I saturate my mind and this house with the music and words of these pure hymns. I am thankful for the words to "O Worship the Lord". I remember singing it and it goes like this,"O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness, in the beauty of holiness, in the beauty of holiness. Glory to the Father, abounding in mercy! Be joyful, all ye people, and magnify Jehovah. O glory hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah! O come before His presence and glorify His name. Glory be to Jesus, our gracious Redeemer! We praise Him, for He loved us, and brought a great salvation...O Glory hallelujah....Glory to the Spirit, the Holy Revealer! We praise Him with the Father and with the Son, our Savior...O Glory Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah! O come before His presence and glorify His name."

Tues.-Went to Dr. F. right away this morning and she adjusted my jaw. It was way out of line and that is why my tooth was hitting. Looks like I won't need a root canal after all. It is almost strange to be in a world of normal aches and pains. The over the top pain is gone and I am glad. I wish I had gone on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory pain meds right away after the surgery. I think I would have taken less medicine in the long run. If any of you are thinking about a tooth implant, my advice is to take a week off work, rest, and go on high doses of medication ;) following the surgery. You'll recover faster. Now, hopefully, I won't write about any of this anymore. Today the younger grade teachers were dressed up as story book characters. March is the month for reading books. I read 4 books to children today. There's nothing I'd rather do. Stacy was dressed like Amelia Bedelia. She's the first grade teacher. Allison looked just like Dorothy. When she opened the door for me I said, "You look like Dorothy!" and she was quite pleased that I didn't have to wonder who she was. Cynthia looked like Fancy Nancy and her husband said to me later, "You left her go into Kroger looking like that?" I never knew about Fancy Nancy but Cynthia got me to read the book about her to the kids and now I am hooked. Oh, and Lisa was dressed like the Cat in the Hat. She even had a black tail. The little boys were trying to pull it. Well, today, the older boys worked on some choreography for the song, "Blow the Man Down." They take swings at each other at the end of each verse. They thought that maybe during the next verse they should be 'nursing' the wound that they got during the previous verse and that way by the end of the song, they'd hardly be standing. I kept thinking that Henry's partner had really smacked him hard in the eye but that was because they were so good at the sound affects and swift movements. Came home after Select Choir and Michael wanted to cook something so we made brownies for Susan's class in the skillet. They burned a little so now we are eating them ourselves. I also made some chex mix for her birthday party. Michael's friend, Jake, came over to hang out this eve. Philip went to Financial Peace at Trinity. Susan is trying very hard to figure out a difficult Algebra problem. Michael tried to help her but told her that these were the kind of problems that he had such a hard time with. I encouraged her to call her teacher but she said that her teacher doesn't want them to give up but wants them to really work at something.///I am thankful that I can smile again. I am thankful for the book of Romans. I am thankful for the advice I received today, that when I am not sure what to do or which way I should believe, I should ask, "Which answer makes God greater?"

Wed.-Great day at school teaching music to the younger grades. Overwhelmed while reading Romans 5. Could hardly pull myself back together. The righteousness of Jesus has been imputed onto us. It's not about doing anything well enough or hard enough; it's about His grace and I am so thankful. Spent some wonderful time in the chapel with all the doors closed and opened the hymn book to the section about God's grace and redemption and played the piano and sang at the top of my lungs when I could sing. One of the volunteers came in to get the overhead projector. He is a local pastor and he said, 'Keep singing' and then he sang with me as he retrieved his equipment. I kept thinking that this is is..this is what life is all about...it's the mercy and grace of God and I can act righteously because He's given me His righteousness as a gift to receive. It's about His work-not mine! Susan and I came home from school and went to church early because I had a Women's Ministry meeting. I met with Lindsay and Jess at Barnes and Nobles for coffee for the eve. That was thoroughly enjoyable.Philip let Roxy go to his friend, Dan. Roxy seems to be unable to keep herself from chasing the cows and pigs. She could do major damage. Dan has always liked Roxy and doesn't have any cows.///I am so thankful that the little girl who was upset that I assigned her to sing with three others when she wanted to sing with only one, finally forgave me, and dried her tears, and drew me 4 beautiful pictures. I am so thankful that we have been given such a great salvation. I am thankful that my mother taught me that there are no 'bad' children. That when children are fussy or sad, they are either sick, hungry, or tired. I used her teaching alot today. I am so thankful for this wonderful school. Where else does a principal say, 'Uh...Mrs. Hertzler. Susan isn't feeling well and was wondering if you would make her some tea and take it to her..She's in my class and it won't be a disturbance for you to do so."

Thurs.-What a great day at school. Made some brownies and served them with ice cream for Susan's birthday treat. Susan not feeling well. I thought it was allergies. So many kids are coughing and snorting. And hurling...Dear Mr. S. cleaned up one child's accident and was so kind to her about it. Susan said to me on the way home, "I wouldn't mind having him for a homeroom teacher." She loves the one she has and said today,"I am glad that Mrs. S. and I will always be friends. She will always be more than a teacher to me." Beyond Latin, Logic, and Algebra, children are learning grace and love and are watching the people they want to be like. We teacher's made quesadilla's for our lunch. Everybody brings something. Taught art in the afternoon. K/l girls painted their batiks and finished their penguins. 2nd grade made their fish for their waterfalls. Susan wanted the heat seat on as we drove home. Poor dear. Has 101.2 temp and was in bed for the night by 5. I'll keep her home tomorrow on her birthday./// I am thankful for little Catori, K group, who came up to me right away in art class, and said, "Um...I like to spend time with you." I like to spend time with her too and told her so as I wrote this sweet comment down in my notebook. I am thankful that today, like yesterday, was a day filled with laughter. I am thankful that I got to say, "The Lord loves you," to a young man who needed to hear it, and his eyes lit up and he smiled with gratitude, and said, "Thank you." I am thankful that select choir sang,"Jerusalem, My Happy Home," after chapel today."They see God face to face..." is my favorite line. They sing the hymn in four part harmony and at one place, there are 5 parts.

Fri.-Happy Birthday dear daughter Susan! She is 14 today and a sick little girl. Temp is 102.2 and she's coughing. Sleeping and resting all day. Didn't even think about watching a movie. Today is a hard day for particular loved ones and that is all I will say. We told Susan that we will give her a boxer puppy for her birthday when we find the right one. We may go back to Pa. and see if Sampson's owners are still raising puppies. Tidied the house. Phil took Susan to Red Lobster in the eve. She insisted on going and enjoyed her scallops even with a fever. I went to Dianna's for a game night with New Life women. 31 attended and we had a blast. I got to know some people better and the more I get to know people, the more I like them. Found out in 'imaginiff' that most people thought the kind of tool I'd be was a level. Pruning shears came in second since I 'am direct.' Also, as far as a type of animal, I supposedly am as 'strong as an ox'-in spirit, Lisa clarified. So, I'm feeling pretty good about myself. ;) My favorite question was, "If Kara was a body part, what would she be." Struck me so funny, esp. one of the parts. We voted that she was a brain. Stayed pretty late and avoided deer on the way home. Couldn't get settled to sleep much.///I am thankful for Susan's cheerful spirit in spite of her obvious discomfort. I am thankful that she was born. What would we ever do without her? I am thankful for new friends and old and that God has broken down every wall and is our peace.

Sat.-Susan pretty sick still. Third day of fever. Throat beginning to get sore. I ran out to send some gifts to new Hertzler babies in Pa. and got a few movies at the library for Susan. Also checked out new thrift shop and found myself a new quesadilla maker for 5 bucks which made me happy since I decided I'd like one after seeing how they worked at lunchtime. Also got a cookbook that I often looked at-365 meals with Rachel Ray. Good condition and paid $2.40. Enjoyed the owners and had a good time talking with them. They have 4 little kids between the ages of 3-5 and they look like dolls. Two are twins. Stopped by Janelle's and got my Micah hug and my thermometer and 4 large Creative Memory scrapbooks of Johnny, Janelle, and Micah. Watched 'Tuck Everlasting' with Susan and Michael. Pretty sad but somewhat satisfying. Susan's class had read it a few weeks ago. Cleaned out the car and picked up trash outside. Went down to my chapel for awhile. So many bugs and a dozen stink bugs crawled out of the binding of my dear old Bible! Much prayer going up for some dear friends and a frightening situation. (Everything worked out.) Made delicious peanut butter cookies with three ingredients-Mix one cup chunky pb-I used natural, one large egg, and 1-1/2 cups sucanat or sugar. One cup was plenty. I used sucanat. I formed them into balls and smashed them on the pan. Baked at 300 until they seemed done. Philip out with friends watching a movie. Michael so exhausted from his busy schedule at Richmond for the last half of the week. Susan asleep on sofa. Oh-I burned some trash and started a brush fire today but we got it out with a hose. Wasn't thinking, that's for sure. Phil's been working on the new shop all day. He seems happy. Tom and Tommy here working on a tractor.///I am thankful that God sees us and knows where we are. I am thankful for His mercy and His grace. I am thankful that He is the way, the Truth, and the life. I'm going to stick close to Him.

Sun.-Was going to stay home with Susan but Mike wasn't feeling so great and he stayed home with her instead. Loved our new SS class with the Davis's. Love and War-book on marriage. Each of us shared a bit of our history. I liked what Jamie said about books-that he's never found one that he totally agrees with-even the Bible, but He knows the Bible is right and he isn't. Also he said that it's better to eat a crumb from a winner (of a book) than to eat a feast from a loser.
Other quotes-"The Bible starts and ends with a marriage. Our marriages represent Christ and the church to the world." "What hangs in the balance of our marriage? Joy." "I'm supposed to complete him, not finish him off." ~G "Blessed are the flexible because they never get bent out of shape." In the service we learned a new song about God never relenting until He has all of our heart. He does not repent or change His mind in regard to His great love for us. I loved what PFrank said, "God is not going to change His mind about loving me. He wants me to know His love above all else." (I thought of the verse, "In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." And I think that those who know the love of God their Father will have that quietness and confidence. They won't strive to get His attention if they know they have His love, just as children exude confidence when they know they have their father's love. So, to have strength, we must have quietness and confidence, and to have those things, we must know the love of God. )
Pastor Frank shared that if we are living in the last days, revelation that has been stored up for the last days is going to be released. It will not be contrary to scripture. The book of Daniel and Revelation give reference to these revelations. (Pastor Frank was just beginning to share about these ideas and because I don't want to presume where he was headed with his thoughts, I will stop here until he shares more.) Oh Jesus, we pray for the skill of wisdom. We pray that we will be able to fathom Your great love for us. We pray that You will reveal Your truth to us. In Jesus name, Amen.
After church, we went to hear more about Susan's missions trip to NYC. At 4:00, Freeman, Alli, Travis, and the boys all came to celebrate Susan's birthday. We sang Happy Birthday to her and then the boys all prayed for her, including Travis, and also, Alli prayed for her. It had to fill her soul to hear all of their love for her. Then we ate ice cream cake. It had three layers of brownies and one big layer of snickers ice cream and one big layer of nutty buddy ice cream and it was completely covered in Cool Whip. The guys left to go back to Travis' and Freeman and Alli went home and since Susan was going to be alone, I stayed here while Phil went to church. I pray that I am not coming down with that stomach bug I was exposed to all last week. Not feeling so very good...///I am thankful that Angel is definitely pregnant and may have puppies in a month. I am thankful for the rain, rain, rain...I am thankful for the truth and that God will be faithful to make it clear. Thank you, thank you, God.

The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.
Oh love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forever more endure,
The saints' and angels' song.
(Frederick M. Lehman)
I love, love, love this song.

No comments: