Monday, July 21, 2008

Hertzler Doings

I am hoping to someday publish my blog entries into a book for my children to read. I want to keep some track of our activities in order to jog their memories of the life we've led.

Early this past Sunday morning, Philip and Freeman drove to Pa. to surprize Grandma and Grandpa Hertzler and sit with them at church. They came up to be with cousin Brandon at his graduation party. They slept some in the afternoon, instead of visiting others, attended his party, and started driving home at 7:45 Sunday eve. They got home around 1:00 in the morning, and went to work with Phil today around 7:00. They are building a house in Concord.

From July 14-18, Philip and Susan went to Assembly of God Camp, 4 hours away. It took them between 8-11 hours to get there. I've heard several different accounts. One of the buses broke down. They had the time of their life and made new friendships. I heard that Pastor Josh told Dianna that Philip Hertzler raised the bar by 10 notches.

Today, Michael is with the youth group at King's Dominion. He will spend the night at Tony and Ruth Shirk's and she will bring him over in the morning when she comes to do paper work. It will be a late night for them. It is 11:00AM and Susan is still sleeping. She was up at 6 every morning last week and now she is playing catch-up. Haley Waddell and her swam for almost two hours in the river yesterday while I read with my feet in the water. I took them to Human Video practise at church and visited with Missi while I waited.

On Saturday night, we went to the Edmonstons for supper. She made homemade tortillas. It was a delicious supper. Afterwards, we sat our chairs in a circle and talked. Philip and Freeman shared some of their most dramatic hunting and trapping stories. I am meeting with Daphne again today, to listen to more of Focus on the Families, Truth Project. I will write more about that another time.

Our summer schedule has been a busy one. Right after school ended, we worked hard on the property for 3 weeks, making hay and preparing for the Pig Roast. Then we had THE PIG ROAST. What a great time! Janelle and Micah came the following day and stayed 10 days. We brought in a large wheat harvest this year. People are calling for sweet corn but we have wheat. Next year, we hope to have refrigeration and then we will harvest sweet corn again. We also have dreams of putting in a small greenhouse. We'd like to grow lettuce and tomatoes, etc. year round.

Our school, Cornerstone Christian Academy, has purchased a warehouse and are hoping to have it ready for school by some time this fall. Phil and the boys have been putting in doors over there. Dr. Hubler has put in as much time as anybody, I think. His son, Henry, follows him around with his bright brown eyes and willing helping hands. He is learning how to build a school in every way, from watching his father's example. I will teach music on Wed. and Thursday afternoons this year.

I must get back to my Monday morning work of washing clothes, cleaning up the kitchen sink, and thinking about what to make for supper. Dobson says that it is the mundane consistent things that a child sees us doing, such as the above, that creates security in the heart of a child. I remind myself of that sometimes, when I think I should be doing something more glamorous.

No comments: