Thursday, July 17, 2008

Insecurity

Some people say that insecure people are prideful and self-absorbed which really just adds to the burden of the insecure person. There are many reasons for insecurity too numerous to mention and the above diagnosis is simplistic.
Insecurity breeds Insecurity. I decided to do something to help myself. When I come home from church on Sunday, I start a prayer card for the following week. I write down the people who shared their burdens with me and I also write down the names of people that I think might not like me. I pray for them that week. It has been amazing. Instead of being concerned about whether or not I have offended these people, I become concerned for their joys and their needs. The next week, they are as friendly as ever and my insecurity in regards to them is long gone. No one was mad at me. They just had their own burdens to think about or were on a mission. I could give you several reasons why I have insecurity, but I'd rather share part of the cure. And I guess you could say, that instead of being self-absorbed, I am becoming others-absorbed. Hmm...
Another thought that has helped me in regards to being insecure is a segment of a poem by Henry Vaughan(1622-1695). The final two lines are-"O for that night! where I in Him, might live invisible and dim. " I have found great freedom in the willingness and the desire to be invisible. When one is invisible, one no longer worries about what one looks like to others. One wants to do things in secret to avoid the praises of men. I feel settled and less concerned with "Things too high for me". There is a deliberate lessening of oneself. I guess you could say , that the liberation of humility replaces the cumbersome burden of pride. Hmmm....

No comments: