Monday, July 21, 2008

Offenses

Psalm 119:165-"Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing shall offend them."

LEARN THE BLESSEDNESS OF THE UNOFFENDED IN THE FACE OF THE UNEXPLAINABLE. (Amy Carmichael)

"Blessed are those who are not offended at me." Jesus

"If I feel bitterly towards those who condemn me, as it seems to me, unjustly, forgetting that if they knew me as I know myself they would condemn me much more, then I know nothing of Calvary love." (Amy Carmichael)

An excerpt from James Herriot's Dog Stories with a short sermon following:

"Well, he has a dislocated hip. It's a nasty thing but with a bit of luck I ought to be able to put it back."
"What happens if it won't go back?"
"He'd have to form a false joint up there. He'd be very lame for several weeks and probably always have a slightly short leg."
"Oh, dear, I wouldn't like that," Helen said. " Do you think He'll be all right?"
I looked at the docile animal still gazing steadfastly to his front. "I think he's got a good chance mainly because you haven't hung about for days before bringing him in. The sooner these things are tackled the better."


When I read this conversation, I had to think about the false joints we form in our lives because of our unwillingness to deal with offenses in relationships in a timely manner. We form false joints and walk with a limp. Sometimes these things can't be helped and there is nothing to be done but to gloss things over and walk with a limp. But, sometimes, we can tend to a wound quickly, and we can connect with each other truthfully, rather than forming false connections, painful though it may be at first to pull things back into place.

No comments: