Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Wings of God

I remember my mother singing, "Under His Wings, I am safely abiding...Though the night deepens and tempests are wild...." She still has her beautiful voice.

Today, I looked up in Strong's Concordance to see all the verses about God's wings. Here are some of them.

Ps. 17:8-"Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings."

(The apple of a person's eye is the little man reflected in the pupil. In other words, we are reflected off the pupil of God's eye because we are always before Him. We are always His focus. Oh, that He would be the apple of our eye as well.)

Ps.36:7-"How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings."

Ps. 57:1-" Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, Until these calamities have passed by."

Ps. 61:3,4-" For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your taberncle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings." Selah-Think about that!

Ps. 63:7- "Because You have been my help, Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice. "

Ps. 91:4- "He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler."(buckler means 'small shield'-two big shields would get in the way of each other)

We would not need the shelter of His wings unless there are calamities, enemies, and need for help and a refuge. What time I am afraid,(and we will be afraid), we will trust in Him. And according to Ps. 63:7, we can rejoice under His wings. Sometimes it pays to be chicken.

No comments: