Sunday, May 24, 2009

Brownie Points and Covenant

I received no brownie points from God today.
I didn't worship Him loudly in spite of my sorrow.
No one could look at me and hold me up as example of spirituality
in the midst of a storm.

But I gave God brownie points today.
Not that He needs them.
But this is what He did for me.

When I could not read His Word,
He spoke words of comfort to me anyway.
When my spirit was face down in the mire,
He lifted my chin.
When I had nothing-no praise, no worship, no prayer
He kept His covenant with me.
I love Him for letting me be who I am-
worshipless, prayerless, numb.

And when I could not sing the theme song to Him,
He sang it to me.
I stood, hands too heavy to raise, eyelids too heavy to open,
and He sang to me,
"I'm pouring out my praise on you..."

"I'm pouring out my love on you..."
"I'm pouring out my praise on you..."
"I'm pouring out..."

I breathed in His love, His praise, and His mercy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I cannot sing to Him,
He sings to me.
When I cannot give Him my all
He gives me His all.

When I cannot keep my covenant with Him,
He keeps His covenant with me anyway.
He carries me.
He does not judge my emptiness.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Sometimes just showing up is enough :) Love you and thinking of you this week. We said some prayers for Abie.

Annie said...

Thank you Jeanne. Your prayers are helping us all. Annette