Sunday, May 31, 2009

Escalation

I am picturing the timeline of life
in the shape of a volcano.
If I was a penny at the top of the vortex
and was making my way down to the bottom
I would start slowly,
going in big circles,
able to take in the scenery of living
around me.

The closer I would get to the bottom
the faster I would spin,
I would hang on for the ride
knowing that life was not in my control.

I think that is what is happening in the world today.
There is an escalation of technology.
There is an escalation of corruption.
There is an escalation in the furtherance of the gospel.
And there is an escalation of death.

Isaiah 57:1,2 says this,
"The righteous perishes,
And no man takes it to heart;
Merciful men are taken away,
While no one considers
That the righteous is taken
away from evil.
He shall enter into peace;
They shall rest in their beds,
Each one walking in his uprightness."

My mother says that the only way
she can process Abie's death
is to believe that he was spared
of something worse.
We always think that death
is the worse thing,
but for the believer,
our greatest triumph-Heaven
lies just beyond our greatest fear-death.

I am thinking of some things worse than death.
Being unfaithful to one's spouse
would be worse than death.
Turning my back on Jesus
would be worse than death.
Causing others to stumble in their faith
would be worse than death.
These are personal choices we make
that bring death
and they would be worse than death.

There are things that could be done to us
that would be worse than death.
My brother, Alan, when he called about Abie,
said, "Now he won't have to go through
all those things the rest of us have to."
For a moment,
I felt a breath of relief for Abie.
Actually,
he's got it made.
It's the rest of us who are trying
to catch our breath.

All this to say
that I think we are nearing
the lower half of the vortex.
It is time to be intentional in our living.
It is time to grow up and not be needy.
It is time to be a disciple of Jesus Christ
and no longer be just a believer.
It is time.

Today,
I raised my hand like an eager school student,
volunteering myself to God.
"Take me next! Take me next!"
I pleaded.
I sensed that He turned me down.
Unless, of course,
He didn't.
Then you can read this at my funeral.
But, I think I will be here for a little while longer.

I think that very soon,
there will be no where else to hide.
We cannot hide in death, or in prosperity, or in self-sufficiency.
I think I will be near the entrance of His cave
telling people to hurry and get under His shelter.
I think I will know His strength
and His comfort
and His word.

I am a little bit scared
and a little bit excited
and a little bit dizzy from all the spinning.
But, I'm holding on for the rest of the ride.
You hold on, too.

No comments: