Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Hertzler Doings~May 4-10, 2009

Mon.-4th-Went to Farmville and picked up my bridesmaid dress at Caryn's. Had lunch with Dianna. Navigated Walmart looking as perplexed as everyone else due to the renovations going on. Arrived at school early and worked on music room. Got to hold baby Etta-Bridget's baby and Marcie's first grandchild. She's a deep thinker. Christy here in eve and gave Susan and I French manicures.


We have a bold, friendly mouse in the house who seems to want to be out and about when we are. I heard the trap snap and heard his poor frantic screaming and added some screams of my own. I donned a glove and gingerly carried the trap outdoors. I threw it on the grass and unsnapped him. He had been caught by his little tail. Angel came to rescue me and kept putting her paw on the stunned mouse but Mousie managed to escape and come back through a hole under the double wide.

Tues-5th-Philip was making eggs at the stove and Mousie ran right over his foot. I felt some admiration for this tenacious 'pet' of ours but Phil said he did not share my sentiments and reset the trap.


Went to Dr. Forand, nutritionist/chiro. in afternoon with Susan. Susan needs a new mattress and Phil got on it right away after I told him. Mattress Warehouse is having a Memorial Day sale starting Sunday. We can get a frame, headboard, spring mattress and top mattress for $150! Regularly-$400. 10 year usage.


Made gigantic chocolate chip cookies for Teacher Appreciation gifts. We all wrote on homemade photo note cards for all the teachers that Mike and Susan have. Philip even wrote a note on Dr. Hubler's card-"You are the man."


Wed.-6th-Happy Birthday dear Sara! I love you! We all love you! Thanks for being a courageous, loving woman. You are one of my heroes. May this be your best year ever and may God be your way...when there seems to be no way.

Busy getting ready to leave for wedding and making final plans and packing.

Thurs-7th-National Day of Prayer. Watched the Washington D.C. prayer service on God TV. I joined the attendees in prayer, raising of their hands, and kneeling and laying on the floor, crying out to God for forgiveness and mercy. It was an humbling and amazing experience and I know God heard our prayers for America.

Left for Pa. from CCA around 12:30. (Picked Michael and Susan up from school.) The clouds were a study in grays and we went through some rainstorms. Stopped at Cracker Barrel in Gettysburg for supper. Visited my mother for about 1 1/2 hours at her home in Garden Spot. She is as beautiful as ever. I gave her a Mother's Day card that we all signed. It's one that you can record a message on. I spoke a message and then the song, "Some Kind of Wonderful..." came jazzing on. I think she liked it. She gave me a birthday card with such kind words and a nice amount of cash.

Got to Joe and Karen's around 9:15. I said, "Home Sweet Home" as we pulled into their driveway.



Friday-8th-Ironed dress and shirts. Went up to church to help set up the tables and decorate for Anne's wedding. Naomi brought a picnic lunch and we went down to French Creek State Park and ate our hard roll sandwiches filled with turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayo; chips, and green tea. Naomi is a great story teller and she was telling me some stories very loudly and then I was laughing just as loudly and I began to feel sorry for the folks who had come down there to have some peace and quiet. She said, 'They're fine.' At one point she said, "We don't have anything for you?" "What?" I asked with confusion. "We don't have anything for you." I looked in the direction she was looking and saw a gaggle of geese begging for some food. Later, we walked around the road for awhile since the trails were puddled with water.

Debra, Karen, Susan and I went to Walmart to get our nails done in the afternoon. Deb Kurtz and Loretta Parsons were also there.

In the evening we had Dave and Anne's rehearsal dinner. The aunts, uncles, and nieces and nephews had supper at Paul and Linda's.

It took us awhile to work out the kinks in the wedding rehearsal but we ended up by having the processional to the tune of Yanni (this was already planned that way)-fast past-Helen said,"Like movie music and we're late for the movie", and all the couples went straight up the stairs and stood on the stage with the couple. Everyone could see this way and it really looked spectacular and sounded that way too. Got home to Joe and Karen's by 8:30. The cousins were in the living room watching 'The Patriot.'



May 9th-Sat-Anne's Wedding Day-Look for separate blog-

After the wedding, we cleaned up at church. We packed up the leftover food-pork barbecue, macaroni and cheese, macaroni salad, cole slaw, baked beans, green beans, carrots, celery, cheese, ring Bologna, and three cakes-brought it all to Mom and Dad's and repackaged it there.
Later in the eve. everyone* came there and ate.
Susan and her cousins were crawling through the culvert under the road and came upon a huge snapping turtle. He advanced towards them and they began throwing rocks at him. They grabbed him by the tail and drug him out and chopped off his head with a machete. Sorry. They boiled him out in the barn and then Debra cooked the meat along with onions in the crock pot and he was part of our dinner on Sunday. Katie fried the eggs they found inside the snapper (I guess he was a she) and Susan said that they tasted like real eggs only a little bit sandy.

Everyone*-All of my father-in-law's siblings were at the wedding. Uncle Dan and Aunt Kit Mullen, daughter Holly and grandson Sian, (stayed with Jim's)flew in from England and are staying the week; Uncle Dan and Aunt Mary Hertzler (stayed with Mom and Dad)(from Scottdale, Pa.)and their 3 sons and families were represented some time other during the weekend; Uncle Bill and Aunt Kit Hallman;(stayed with Joe's)(from Kansas) their daughter Susie and her girls, Laura and Lisa (stayed with Paul's) were there; Plus Phil's brothers and their families were there. All of the Mast family made it to the wedding as well. All of my mother-in-law's siblings and their spouses came to the wedding. Anne got pictures taken with both sides.

Sunday-May 10th-Happy 51st Birthday to me and Happy Mother's Day too!
My nieces and nephews can't believe I'm that old. I wonder why.
Went to second service at Hopewell. Saw many friends and was hugged so hard that my ear started bleeding from my earring. Bev and I decided that the shore girls should go to the shore in Sept. We didn't go this month since it would have been the weekend before the wedding and it would have been alot for me. Linda Symanski preached-Hopewell tradition that the Sr. Pastor's wife preaches on Mother's Day.
Packed up our things at Joe and Karen's and came over for another family gathering at the farm. More relatives came and the house and grounds were full. John and Betty Drescher came. She and Aunt Kit are best of friends. Dan Mark and Christy and their children and Ron and Laurel were there as well. (Uncle Dan Hertzler's children) Tom and Helen came with their crew just as we were leaving. I found it to be an emotional departure. I almost dread coming because I hate the leaving. It's the same way with my mother but I hold myself together until we are pulling away.
Had a nice trip home. Left at 3:33 and got home at 9:34.
Listened to phone messages and David and Abie had called to wish me a Happy Birthday. They are my youngest and oldest brother respectively. Rosalee knew I wasn't home and sent me a nice card in the mail.

P.S. Found very dead Mousie in trap.

No comments: