Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hertzler Doings~May 14-17,2009

Busy Week. All of us tired from the wedding week. Trying to catch up with home and farm and school. Feeling a bit homesick for Pa. family and friends and yet glad to be back home in Va.
Worried about my mother who is running a low-grade temp, losing weight, no energy, etc.

May 14-Thurs-Gil, Lindsay, Adi and Emma came this morning and we went out to C&S Farm in Appomattox to pick our own strawberries . Adi liked to pick the white ones and put them in my box. She liked to squish the ripe ones between her fingers and by the time we were finished, she looked like she had been in an accident and had a head injury of some sort, what with all the red juice running down her face. An 8-month old baby boy came to me when I reached for him. He laid his head down on my shoulder to rest. Adi came to check out who had invaded her territory. I picked her up. He took one look at her and began to scream, trying to back away from her as I struggled to hold onto both of them. I kept telling him that she wasn't bleeding, but he didn't believe me. :) Lindsay called later in the day. She successfully canned her own strawberry jelly. Yippee! I made strawberry shortcake for our supper and we ate most of our strawberries that eve. I froze the rest to make smoothies with orange juice, an apple, a banana, (and frozen strawberries.) Delicious.

Daphne, Brandt, and Amy Edmonston came over in the afternoon and brought me some of their excess plum tomato plants, watermelon plants, and pepper plants. We planted them right away. We had fun talking about becoming self-sufficient in a community sort of way.

The Drinkards-Bruce, Millie, and Bailey came over later in the eve. to check out Michael's calves. I took Millie, Bailey, and Susan down to the cottage/chapel. We had a nice eve. with them.

Friday, 15th-Taught last Friday music class of the year. The older girls sang our Jewish song, "I lay in Zion", while the boys danced together in a circle. It was really neat. One little boy told me today that he will spend the summer in daycare and I told him that I wanted to bring him home with me. He is such a sweet little guy. Sometimes, if the children are acting up, I call them by their first name and my last name. For example, suppose Jack pushes Jill down the hill. I would then say, "JACK HERTZLER!" Jack would say, as they all do, "Hertzler is not my last name." And I say, "It is when you are in trouble." Then they are not sure what to say.

Chace, Eric, and Zach came over and played halo with boys all eve. I'm not sure about halo but they love it and they are here.

John and Jeanne came over in eve. and brought us some homegrown radishes. I had to eat a radish sandwich right away. We had a nice time with them, chatting and looking up praying mantises and other insects in books. They are good friends. I think we could enjoy playing 'library' together-just sitting quietly in a room together, reading, reading, reading. That's how Jeanne and John met-through a book or library club. Jeanne has a blog attached to mine and she is quite a writer. You can order her e-book for beginning gardener's right from her blog.


Sat, 16th-Busy Day. Phil, Susan, Philip, Tommy, and Michael spent much time today replanting the corn fields ravaged by crows. They have sore muscles and are sun-burned. I kept busy trying to clean the house, make bread, make lots of iced tea, etc. Planted more watermelon seeds and some hot pepper plants. I don't move nearly as fast as I used to. Freeman and Gary Christman went to N.C. on Thursday. A friend from The Continentals is getting married this eve. at 7:00 and they are singing in it. Found out that Freeman also sang a solo-learned it today. Someone who was going to sing it in the wedding was unable to come. The outdoor wedding got rained out and the sound system was shorted out.

There was a knock at the door later in the afternoon. My neighbor girl, Ryan, and two of her friends, Brianna, and another sweet girl, stopped in. "Miss Annette, I left my make-up at Buddy's and the prom is tonight. Can I borrow your make-up?" asked Ryan. It was fun to watch Brianna, who is a licensed cosmetologist, apply make-up and work her magic on an already beautiful girl.


Michael got check from Bruce Drinkard for calves today. He feels like a rich man. Tried to do his banking in town but I needed to be there since we have a joint account.

Sunday-the 17th-So good to be back at New Life. Sat in back before church and talked with Alice, my friend who God is healing. She will soon be cancer free. The doctor's report gets better and better. Held little Ryder Davis in church and he kicks and wiggles and I can feel him singing by the vibrations in his little chest. He fell asleep on my shoulder and slept through some of the singing and the Communion Service. When he woke up, Philip wanted to hold him and Philip said, 'He is just a little fur ball.' Rider began to check out Philip's chest-(finding nothing on one side, he checked out the other) which sent Michael into hysterics and Pastor Frank happened to look at Michael just then, and Michael felt a little bad about being a distraction. Michael held Ryder for awhile, too, and when Jamie, Ryder's daddy, picked him up, he reached back for Michael. He is just adorable.

Relaxed at home all afternoon. Freeman and Gary got home around 2:00. Stayed up late watching a Monk marathon.
Next week is last week of school! Summer vacation-here we come!

No comments: