Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hertzler Doings-May 18-22, 2009

18th-Phil left for Kansas in afternoon to attend a Conklin Seminar to learn how to apply a certain product to roofs. He spent some time with Uncle Bill and Aunt Kit and his cousins.

19th-Gave myself a vacation day today. Met Lisa H. at Baine's. She helps me find myself. We did a little shopping together, too. Came home and went to my chapel. Burned brush for several hours, sat in sun, and read a children's book. Nice restful day. Michael was sick today and missed the school trip to Monticello.

20th-My brother, Alan, called in the afternoon. He told me that I needed to sit down. He should be a pastor, the way he handles things...My sister Rosalee, has a 23 year old son, Abie, who just moved to S. Dakota to study Wildlife, etc. He was there a week. He was driving the company truck and somehow pulled too close to a tractor trailer truck. The driver tried to brake but was unable to avoid a collision. Abie was instantly killed and the passenger riding with him has life-threatening injuries. This cannot be true. How can this be true? Everything that happened after that is muddled. Dianna came over. Phil flying home. Got ahold of him before he left for his final flight home. Dianna made me a scrambled egg sandwich and sat with me in the dark and listened.

21st-Happy Birthday, dear David. My brother. 46 years old. Trying to make sense of this craziness. How can you lose a child? It's bad enough to lose a dog. How can it be? Phone calls. Trying to find Katrina, their youngest child, who was flying to Munich the day of her brother's death. Probably in the air when it happened. On her way to tell people about Jesus on the streets of Munich. Finally reached her via the school contacts. Dear Katrina.

22nd-Katrina flying home alone today-9 hour non-stop flight. Met at Dulles airport by the college people and her sister, Annika. My sister homeschooled them their whole life and they are all very close.

Last day of school at CCA. Had graduation and awards ceremony. Michael won the Rhetoric award and a Latin award. He was hoping to win the Rhetoric award. Susan did well too. The children sang two songs we were working on-"Coram Deo" and "Cornerstone." Went to a school picnic at the Drinkards bit of heaven on earth. Felt calm and carried. After we came home I went back out to look for funeral clothes. Found several things that will work.
Rosalee and her family are receiving an outpouring of love and prayers.
Mother is not well.
I hate what her body is doing to her.
I hate that she has to go through all of this.
How does a mother watch her daughter go through this kind of sorrow?
So many layers of grief.
It's not right.
Tell me it isn't true.

2 comments:

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Ah - Annette, I'm sooo sorry. My world was crazy the past few weeks, so I wasn't reading blogs. Just heard about your nephew. I'm soo sorry for your loss. I'm soooo sorry for your sister and her family!! What a tragedy!!

Annie said...

Thank you Janet. You know, I've never said anything to you about your sister's death although I've thought about it often. I bet you really miss her even as you are happy for the freedom she now has. I am sorry for your loss as well. Thank you. Annette