Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gems From My Mother's Journals

On hypocrites-"The Lamb of God"-1888-(This little book 100 years old, has some interesting thoughts.)
"DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF KEEPING AWAY FROM HIM-JESUS-BECAUSE MANY WHO PROFESS TO BE HIS...ARE FULL OF FAULTS. IF YOU WERE PERISHING WITH THIRST, YOU WOULD PAY LITTLE OR NO REGARD TO THE VESSEL WHICH CONTAINED THE WATER YOU CRAVED. "

"Saturday morning, as I was lying on my back praying here in the dark, I realized again how far my mind had wandered and how soon. And the Lord, I'm sure it was He, just gave me the sense of lying on His breast as John did, of conversing with Him at times but at other times just quietly being in His presence, thinking. Best friends don't need to strain to be talking to each other incessantly, but just enjoy each other's presence, thinking their own thoughts, communicating when they want to. I'm sure Jesus enjoys that kind of fellowship more than the determined, strained time of a continual barrage of talking. Even the strain of being sure to listen is unnecessary. I have learned how spontaneous and how unexpected those times can be-when I hear His voice. How nice just to lean on those everlasting arms and fellowship together."

"The same rain falls on the whole world, yet it becomes white in the lily, red in the rose, purple in the violet."
St Cyril of Jerusalem-The Catholic Digest

No comments: