Friday, November 7, 2008

The Blessedness of Being Poor~

~in spirit, that is.

Matt. 5:3~"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Oswald Chambers says it this way:
"The thing in which I am blessed is my poverty.
If I know I have no strength of will, no nobility of disposition,
then, says Jesus, "Blessed are you,"
because it is through that poverty that I enter
the Kingdom of Heaven.
I cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven
as a good man or woman;
I can only enter the Kingdom of Heaven
as a complete pauper."

I have wondered about great women and men of God, who have been reduced to invisibility in their last years on earth, due to mental or physical challenges. Perhaps, God in His wisdom, is allowing them to be reduced to a place where their trophies are no longer on display. Perhaps, in His mercy, He is helping them to enter the Kingdom of Heaven like a child. Like a pauper they come in, bearing no crowns of their own. And, oh, the joys that await them~

No comments: