Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Nov.4, 2008~#2

Yesterday, Susan was sick, and I took her to school just to get her pictures taken. Two women were taking pictures. One gently smoothed Susan's hair and tilted her chin. They said something sweet to her to produce her Mona Lisa smile and as soon as the camera flashed, it disappeared. "I hope you feel better soon, " they said, as she came and wearily stood beside me.

When I had first arrived at school, Michael came up to me and muttered, "Take me home." I felt his flushed forehead and it was hot. I made Dr. Hubler feel it too. Mrs. Jones, the headmistress arranged things so that Michael's class could get their pictures taken right after Susan's class so we could all go home as soon as possible.

The picture lady moved Michael's hair so they could see his eyes. They tilted his chin and called him "Handsome." Children and adults called out to us, "We hope you feel better soon." We left school enveloped in the warm benediction of collective kindnesses.

When I awoke this morning, it was still with me.
Kindness can be just a small pebble cast into the waters of life,
but the ripples it creates goes on for quite some time.

No comments: