Monday, November 3, 2008

Psalm of Comfort~Ps. 78:19~22

It's been a gray day. The sky is heavy with waiting. It seems the whole world is holding its breath to see which way the winds of change will shift. I read one scary e-mail too many. I got in my Gator and tore down to my chapel and threw open my Bible. I don't do this very often. But, I was desperate to hear from God, and I did. My eyes went right to verse 19 of the Psalm on my opened page. This is what I read.

"Yes, they spoke against God: They said, "Can God provide a table in the wilderness? Behold, He struck the rock, So that the waters gushed out, And the streams overflowed. Can He give bread also? Can He provide meat for His people?" Therefore the Lord heard this and was furious; So a fire was kindled against Jacob, And anger also came up against Israel. BECAUSE THEY DID NOT BELIEVE IN GOD, AND DID NOT TRUST IN HIS SALVATION."

It goes on to remind us of how God gave them manna~angel's food, and gave them birds to eat. He always took care of them in miraculous ways. And they dared to speak against Him by doubting that He could take care of them. That's what made Him angry.

I am not going to be afraid anymore. I am still alive and He has taken care of me for 50 years. If I die, I am going to go be with Him. He has taken care of my children and my mother and syblings and my husband's family and my church family and all those I love. Nothing can separate me from His love. So, I am going to trust Him in the wilderness to provide manna from Heaven if I need it. Life is alot more peaceful if I trust Him. And I certainly don't want Him to get furious with me. And I don't want to make Him sad either.

Wringing our hands and wondering what we're going to do...is alot like wondering if God is going to take care of us.
Don't try this at home. Don't try it anywhere. And especially don't try it during a thunderstorm.

No comments: