Thursday, November 6, 2008

Psalm of Comfort~#6~Ps.42:7,8,11

Deep calls unto deep
at the noice of Your waterfalls;
All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
The LORD will command His lovingkindness
in the daytime,
And in the night His song shall be with me~
A prayer to the God of my life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God:
For I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance
and my God.

There is an interesting note in my Bible with this Psalm. Regarding the author~~~"Clearly, he is in very discouraging situations; people mock his relationship with God, and God seems very far away. He feels cast down, weary, confused, and hopeless. Still, he knows his only hope is to seek God in prayer. To do so, he refocuses himself on the promises of God, confronts the fears and contradictions deep in his soul, and challenges himself about every semblance of unbelief in his heart. It is the principle behind Rom. 10:17: Faith comes alive by hearing the truth, so the psalmist seems to be preaching to himself, being renewed in hope as he reviews who God really is. The resident psychologist of a major cancer clinic described the perspective that marked hope-filled cancer patients: "They don't deny the diagnosis. But they do defy the verdict." The psalmist takes this same approach to becoming equipped for intensive prayer that seeks God for victory."

How interesting that I was entering this psalm for our friend who is battling cancer and it's fears and the Bible notes refer to cancer patients. I didn't see this when I first wrote out the psalm.

Another note in regards to the countenance~ "Here, God's caring countenance turns toward the one who praises, and the praiser's countenance is lifted by His present love." I have seen His loving countenance reflected on the face of our friend as she worships the Lord in our midst and I am encouraged anew to put my hope in God.

Parting thought~What does God's song in the night sound like? What is His music? What are His words? (vs.8)

No comments: