Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

My dad was born on June 1, 1926. He passed away on Feb. 2, 2004.
He had an outgoing personality, a sharp wit, and was quite a businessman.
He had reddish hair when he was young and some people called him 'Red'.
He sent us to Christian schools and took us on two week trips around the U.S. every summer.
If I woke up early enough, he'd share a square of his scrambled egg sandwich with me.
He laid out quarters every Sunday morning, five in a row, for our Sunday School offering.
Every Christmas, he'd get us some kind of musical instrument along with many other things.
Sometimes, he would chase down fire trucks just to see where the action was.
He loved old cars and owned and drove a Motel T Ford. I hope I have that right.
It had a rumble seat and on Sunday afternoons, we would drive around on the back roads.
He was the best auctioneer in the world.
He kept the crowd rolling with his funny ad libs and interaction with the crowd.
He gave good advice and was wise.
I miss him.
Abie used to miss him, but he doesn't miss him anymore.
I am beginning to think that living is over-rated and
death is under-rated.
Look who's happy and look who's sad.
I am so ready to be happy.

No comments: