Monday, June 1, 2009

Hertzler Doings~June 1, 2009

Monday-June 1-Worked hard in the garden today. Phil in Pa. at Parke's funeral. Linda Hertzler, my sis-in-law called me after the funeral, saying, "I got a hug from Phil but I need to hear from his other half." (Something like that.) She was wondering how I was what with Abie's death, Parke's death, Francie's death...I told her that when I heard about Francie's death, it was like I was pushed beyond the edge of grief. I think it was then that I really felt God carrying my griefs and my sorrows and I actually felt better. I am asking Him to carry my sister and her family and bear their griefs and their sorrows. It is a long journey ahead.

Pastor Allan Yoder preached Park's sermon. One of the things he said of Park's death was, "After 48 years of physical decline, the greatest gift he could have received was a new glorified body. Finally, God has made all things new for him." He also shared that on one Sunday, he was preaching a sermon on the harvest, and he cried out, "The harvest is rotting. What do you do with a rotten harvest?" And Parke said aloud, "You make wine." Well, this got Pastor Allan to thinking and the next Sunday he preached about new wine. It is sobering to think about the fields being ripe and ready for harvest but no laborers are in sight and so the harvest rots. I never thought about that before. One really could preach on that.

Today is my dad's birthday. He would have been 83. I used to buy him candy for his birthday.

No comments: