Sunday, June 14, 2009

Understanding

There has been alot going on in our lives and in the lives of those we love.
I am not sure if this is just life,
or if Satan is attacking and persecuting Christians and intercessors,
or if God is allowing us to be sifted,
or if God is testing our faith,
or if we're doing something wrong
or if the end is near
or what.
There are too many people involved for this to be about us.
These things affect us deeply, however.

I know God cares.
I know He is sovereign.
I know we live in a fallen world.
I know Satan hates God's children.
I know God allows bad things to happen to good people.
I know there are laws set in place involving physics and inertia and gravity.
I know there is cause and effect.
I know these things.

What I don't know is this:
What is God doing in all of this?
Why is He allowing it?
What's going on?

The other day, I read a verse in John 13.
The story is recorded of the time Jesus washed His disciples feet.
He came to wash Peter's feet and Peter said, "Lord, are you washing my feet?"
Jesus said this, "What I am doing you do not understand now,
but you will know after this."

What would Peter know after this?
Was it simply the lesson of the Master being a servant?
Did Peter understand that he was to wash the feet of the others
since Jesus had washed his?

Or did Peter understand later that Jesus was cleansing him ahead of time from the filth of betrayal that would cling to his feet just a few hours from that washing?
Would Peter think, "He washed my feet. He served me and He knew I would betray Him."

I have thought much on these words of Jesus.
I have transferred them to the situations in life that are affecting me now.

Peter thought Jesus was not acting the way His Lord and Master should act.

Has Jesus ever acted in a way contrary to your idea of Him as Master and Lord,
Savior and Protector, Healer and Provider?
Have you ever wondered what in the world He is doing?
I have.

It helps me to read the words Jesus spoke to Peter,
"What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this."

I guess if we understood everything,
we would not need to have faith.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for,
and I hope to understand someday.

No comments: