Monday, June 29, 2009

Hertzler Doings-June 21-28, 2009

Billy and Bekah Balmer were here with us from the 19-23rd. They helped us so much with the Pig Roast. We, in turn, taught them how to play Farkel, Dutch Blitz, and Pick One. On Monday, Billy and Freeman took back the coolers and tables, etc. to The Babcock House, and returned the tent to the Loys.
Phil and Philip decided to warm up some leftover pork in a bag on the truck windowsill while at work on Mon. Later that night, I thought I might have to take Phil back to the ER. He was getting rid of the pork, etc. in various ways throughout the night. His stomach finally seemed better by Thursday.
We've had a month of one thing happening after the other, and after Billy and Bekah left on Tuesday, I completely crashed. I could hardly move the whole day, so I rested and so did Susan. I am concerned for my mother. She has had a fever for probably 3 months now and still no answers after many tests. She has gone on oxygen now.
Ed MacMahan, Farah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, and Billy Mays passed away this week.
I remember watching the Jackson family's performance on the Ed Sullivan show. I feel deep sorrow for their families. They are surrounded by so many but grief is such a private pain. The grievers are in a different land, speaking a language no one else knows. Bless Michael Jackson's children, and bring them to a land of solace and comfort and God.
Phil and I went out to Liberty to join Michael for supper and the Boys State program. He talked non-stop. He really enjoyed his time. His eyes were opened to many aspects of our political system and he definitely does not want to be a politician. His respect for the American flag has increased. Michael joined the choir for the week and I was amazed at the numerous songs that the choir director had taught them; songs about America and songs about God. "Cast Your Burden Upon the Lord"...to..."Dixie"...to all the different songs for the military. As they sang them at the program, those represented by the words of the songs would stand. Those in the army stood for the army song, etc. Our biggest thrill was to see Michael lead all 800 boys in the Boy State Song. His arms were going back and forth and he started with the choir and slowly moved in a circle, directing the whole group in the goose-bumpling song. This was all done in the Vine Center at Liberty.
We came back the following day, Sat., and picked him up around noon. He was trying to remember what the leader of Boys State had told them before they left. I believe it was:
Do what's right. Do your best. And Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
He really liked that.
Phil, Susan, Freeman and I went to New Life in the afternoon for Alex and Laurel's wedding. All of the bridesmaids looked so beautiful. Karen sang, "There is Love..." and Roger accompanied her with his guitar. It was lovely. Alex's mother made the reception food. Delicious. Addi ate her lunch with me on my lap and we succeeded in troubling the lunches of those around us several times. We wish and pray for all the best for Alex and Laurel.
We ran some errands while in town and got some free potatoes at the Millers. Phil helped me make some potato salad when we got home. I also made coleslaw and chocolate cake for Freeman's birthday supper tomorrow.
We went to church and Phil taught Sunday School. Philip, Freeman, and I were part of the class. I really enjoy his class on 'Walking In the Spirit.' It's good teaching and all based on the Bible. I like learning to know the others in the class, as well.
Later in the afternoon, The Bantans and Alli and Kelly came to enjoy Freeman's 25th birthday supper with us. Every year for Freeman's birthday, he grills the pork ribs we kept back from the Pig Roast pigs. It's a messy business, eating pork ribs. Alli kept thinking that she was going to get hit in the eye with one of Freeman's ribs as he tackled the meaty bones. I gave Addi one of the bones with the meat intact and she was a regular little cave girl. Chace and Erik came a short while later and enjoyed supper with us and Rhoda and Gina rode over on a motorcycle. Lindsay made Freeman a guitar cake using real guitar strings. It was her delicious butter cake recipe. I made a chocolate coffee cake and I will put the recipe on my blog. We had ice cream and sang 'Happy Birthday', again. Some of the kids went down to the river and some stayed to watch 'Three Stooges'. They played kickball, too. Phil apologized to Gil for falling asleep and not doing anything entertaining and Gil said that that is why he loves to come. Gil fell asleep too. It's nice to have folks come that are so much like family that you don't have to 'do' anything for them. Lindsay and I sat out on the front porch and gave Emma and Addi baths in a 5 gallon bucket. It brought back alot of memories for me. Our kids would get so dirty in the summer and most nights, they took their bath in a 5 gallon bucket on our front porch. Philip caught some little fish in the river and Addi held one proudly in her hands. Lindsay put her back in the 'tub' right after that to sanitize her again.
We watched another 'Monk' episode after everyone left.
I'd like to meet the writer of the show.
He understands neurotic behavior.
He is also acquainted with grief.

No comments: