Sunday, June 14, 2009

Secret Communication

I woke up today, thinking about my dad.
I could just picture him there, sitting at the kitchen table,
talking about me to my mother and I couldn't understand
what he was saying. This was all done with an underlying
sense of humor.
He could do this in two ways.
Remember, he was an auctioneer and could talk very fast.

My mother would communicate with him in the same language.
It was a challenge to try to understand them and I tried as hard as I could.

Language number one was Pig Latin.
This is when you take off the first letter of a word, add a long 'A' sound to it,
and add it to the back end of a word.
Like this: -igpay atinlay- meaning Pig Latin.
I knew if I heard something like, " ..nettay eedsnay otay ogay otay edbay,"
that it was soon my bedtime.
I know that quite a few people can speak this kind of Latin.
What made it unique was the speed and ease with which they communicated.

The other way they communicated when they didn't want us to know what they were saying was to spell rapidly.
There was no real pause between words and back and forth they would fire their letters, like an auctioneer fires numbers.
I would try too hard and by the time I would figure out one word,
they were on to their next paragraph.
Looking back,
I think my parents were probably geniuses.
I don't know anyone else who could do the things they did.

No comments: