Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hertzler Doings-June 19,20, 2009

We have been busy all this week getting ready for the Pig Roast.
When Freeman and Susan were painting the mailbox, and Philip and Phil were working with equipment out at the end of the lane, they all saw two bear coming out of our woods.
That was a thrill.
Billy Balmer and his wife, Becka, came Friday around 5:00 to visit us for several days. Billy was 6 months old when Freeman was born and they have literally been friends ever since then.
They have been a great help to us before, during, and after the pig roast.

On Wed. of this week, Phil called an emergency family meeting. It was another very rainy day. He said that we had to decide that day whether or not we should cancel the pig roast. The pigs still had their oinks and tails but another day would be too late. We discussed parking, shelter, protection for the music equipment, etc. and decided to have the pig roast, rain or shine. We were glad we did.

We had a nice Pig Roast on Sat. People from church, school, the community, other churches, and friends of those we knew came in spite of the heat. Quite a few stayed home because of it and needed to for health reasons. We think that we probably had about 200 people here. Some came later in the day. Lindsay asked if she could use her VIP status and came into our house to give the girls their naps. They were sprawled out on Susan's bedspread on the living room floor, cool as cucumbers, and sound asleep when I came in. Lindsay came in to check on them at one point and they were wide awake, happily playing with my exercise equipment.

Everyone brought a dish or two of food and that food brought flies even though we had sprayed the property several times this week. Roger and his band played. For the drummer and one guitarist, it was the first Christian performance they had ever participated in. John and Gloria, brother and sister in law, played guitars and sang. Tom and Helen and their whole family sang and played all kinds of instruments. They could go on the road. Ray and Ruth joined Phil and I to sing a few hymns. Graham Loy and his dad, David, and sisters, Erin and Chelsea, wowed the crowd. Graham is 12 years old and is a student of mine at Cornerstone Christian Academy. It was the first time their family had performed together publicly. Phil and Roger sang and played as well.
The Hertzler Boys had a special song to give to their dad for Father's Day. They dressed up in beards and sunglasses and ugly masks and held guitar hero guitars and danced around and 'sang' the song, 'Born to be Wild.' They were really good and I was very proud. They used the front lawn as their stage and I had to think about how we prayed before we found this farm, that God would give us a wide and open place, free from restriction. Their song and dance and freedom were all a reflection of His abundant answer.

The river was a popular place to hang out. It's alot cooler down there and the water draws the young people. The Harvest Kids played kick ball in the eve. and they and some of the other young people got to see the Famous Hertzler Wax Bomb.

I gave Carleen, Cindy, and Amber a ride down to the river on the gator and showed them my little chapel. We had a very good time together.

I think the reason I like the Pig Roast so much is because I am like my little 5 year old nephew, Micah. His mommy, Janelle, says that Micah would be perfectly happy if all of the people he loves could be under one roof. That's how I feel. I love to introduce people I love to other people I love and I hope that they will discover the reason that I love each of them so much and love each other too. I got to do that several times on Sat. My young friend, Amy, took me aside and thanked me for introducing me to my niece, Bethany. They exchanged e-mail addresses and they deserve one another, both being so sweet and perceptive.

I think the Pig Roast is just a taste of heaven on earth. In heaven, there will be feasting and fellowshipping and wonderful music. Just as we prepared in advance for our friends to have a welcoming place to come to, God is preparing a place for us. Most importantly, God will have most of the people He loves all together under one roof, and He will be perfectly happy then.

June 21-Father's Day-Three great men were honored today-Brent B., Jamie D., and Pastor Lou. This was during our Sunday service. Addison almost fell asleep in my arms but she was more tired than sleepy and just basically wanted to snuggle which was fine by me. It was a good morning. Chace, Eric, and Amber all hugged Phil and wished him a Happy Father's Day. It undid me and I had to leave.
We came home and ate....PORK! Phil and I took Michael to Liberty University for Boy's State. Over 800 young men from Virginia are attending for a week of learning all about government and our political system. Governor Kaine will be speaking to them this Thursday. I don't think I ever sent Michael off somewhere by himself for a week. He looked so big and brave but I got in the car and cried for my little boy who is not so little any more. I wonder if this week is tied up in his destiny. Aunt Mert has teased him about being President of the United States. That is not a job I would wish on anyone but it certainly is possible for Michael to be President someday.

Freeman showed Billy and Becka his potato gun this afternoon. We ate some ice cream and toppings and are taking it easy. Freeman was so blessed this morning when someone publicly acknowledged the work that our family does in order to get ready for the pig roast. He said, "That made it all worth while." He has been happy the whole day because of those encouraging words.
We will hopefully hit the sack early tonight and sleep well.

No comments: