Saturday, February 28, 2009

Book Report~Galatians

Author: Paul
Date: 55-56 A.D.
Theme: Justification by faith alone

There were legalists in the church (Judaizers) who were teaching that upholding Old Testament laws were necessary as well as belief in Christ. They accused Paul of making the gospel more attractive through compromising the enforcement of O.T. laws, especially for the new Gentile believers.
Paul encouraged the believers to be free through faith in Christ and to use their newfound freedom to live a life of righteousness in Christ.

Key verses:
Gal. 2:16~Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Christ
Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in
Christ and not by the works of the law;
for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

Gal. 2:20, 21~ I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;
and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God,
who loved me and gave Himself for me.
I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law,
then Christ died in vain.

Gal. 3:13,14~ Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us
(for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree")
that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus,
that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Gal. 5:1, 13~Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free,
and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage...
For you, brethren, have been called to liberty;
only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh,
but through love serve one another.

Gal.5:22,23~ But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Gal. 6:14~ But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whom the world had been crucified to me, and I to the world.

No comments: