Friday, February 27, 2009

Bless the LORD and Vice Versa

Lift up your hands in the sanctuary,
And bless the Lord.
The Lord who made heaven and earth
Bless you from Zion! Ps. 134:2,3

Imagine blessing Him with uplifted hands in our church service
and feeling the pressure of Hands on our hands.
We open our eyes and He is standing there,
blessing us with His presence, love, acceptance,
and freedom from sin and shame.

What can we possible bless Him with?
What does He want from us?
He has everything.
We have nothing.
He is everything.
We are nothing.

Perhaps that is why we worship-
Because He has and is everything.
We worship Him and bless Him for being Who He is.

Perhaps, in turn, He blesses us
because of who we are. 
We bless Him
for being God and He blesses us
because we are His own.

Perhaps, He also blesses us because of Who He is.
He is Love and so He loves us.

I like to think of Him
standing in front of me
while I raise my hands,
worshiping Him.
I like to think of His hands of my hands
or His hands on my head,
blessing me in Zion,
as I bless Him in the sanctuary.

That is why I don't sing too loudly
or shout so He can hear.
That is why I don't jump or
raise my hands too high.
He is so near.
I don't want to hurt His ears.
I don't want to tramp on His feet.
I don't want to smack Him in the face.
I worship gently and deeply
for He is near.

"Let all the earth keep silence,
so we may hear the whispers of God."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

No comments: