Monday, February 23, 2009

Relief

The other day, I went to my chapel to pray. I was fighting panic in regard to a situation we are facing. Immediately, I thought of reading Psalms 74. These are some of the words I read.

"Remember Your congregation, which You have purchased of old..."
"The enemy has damaged everything in the sanctuary..."
"O God, how long will the adversary reproach?..."
"Oh, do not deliver the life of Your turtledove to the wild beast! Do not forget the life of Your poor forever."
"Have respect to the covenant;...Oh, do not let the oppressed return ashamed!"
"Let the poor and needy praise your name.."
"Arise, O God, plead Your own cause;..."

As I read these words, I felt encouraged to pray for the Body of Christ, especially at New Life.
What if
when I feel overwhelmed in the area of finances, I pray for all those who are also feeling overwhelmed in the area of finances?
What if when I feel worried about a child or a parent, I pray for all those who are worried about a child or a parent? God knows who they are.
What if when my marriage is facing the enemy's assault, I pray for all those whose marriages are facing assault?
And so I prayed for the congregation we are planted in with the words of this psalm.
May all of us who are poor and needy praise your name.
Deliver us with your own right hand from the damage of our adversary.

I left my chapel with peace in my heart.
I do not face any trial as a lone wolf.
Surely others are facing the same trials.
When I prayed for those in our body,
I prayed for myself as part of that body.
And suddenly, my burden was lifted and my trials were not random oppressions.
Surely God will plead His own cause, as verse 22 states.
And as He pleads His own cause, He will be pleading for my cause,
because I am His and He is mine, just as when I plead for your cause,
I am also pleading for mine.
And instead of feeling alienated with fear and doubt,
I am comforted with the presence of His people and His love.
Because I am sure He will take care of you and answer my prayers for you,
I am sure He will take care of me and answer His own prayers for us all.

No comments: