Thursday, August 13, 2009

Book Report-"Betty Zane"

by Zane Grey

Every time I see the Helton's little boy, Zane, I think of Zane Grey. What a great writer he was. If you want to read about our nation's history in novel form, pick up one of his books. This book, however, is much more than a novel. It is based on stories written by his great-grandfather, Ebenezer Zane, recorded in a musty old notebook his mother found burning in some rubbish in the back yard.

The story is wrapped around the character of Betty, who is a young teenager when the story begins. It tells of Indians and the British, cruelty and human kindness, and the courageous act of Betty to save the lives of others so that there would be a story left to tell.

When I was a young girl, my brother had a whole shelf of Zane Grey books. I hope he still has them somewhere....

No comments: