Saturday, August 1, 2009

Book Report~Daniel

Notes taken from New Spirit Filled Life Bible-NKJV~

I remember going to Vacation Bible School and singing about Daniel...

"Dare to be a Daniel.
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a purpose firm.
Dare to make it known."

Author: Daniel
Date: Late Sixth Century B.C.
Theme: God Controls the Destiny of All Nations
Key Words: Kings, Kingdoms, Visions, Dreams

The book of Daniel is a rich book. I think it is best read in one sitting. There are only 12 chapters. I didn't read it that way this time, but I think I would have grasped more of its meaning if I had read it like a book. That's probably true about any book of the Bible.
If we would read novels like we read the Bible, one chapter a day from any given book, we would probably not grasp the essence of the novel, would we? Hmmm...I will have to change my ways.

I am fascinated by this man Daniel.
When he was just a teenager, he was taken from his home in Jerusalem and deported to Babylon where he lived 60 years. Not once did He deny his faith or upbringing.
When he first came to Babylon, he was a trainee in Nebuchadnezzar's courts.
Later he served as an advisor to kings.

Some of the 'famous' stories from the book of Daniel include:
-Shadrach, Meshach, and Obednego-their refusal to bow down to an idol, and their deliverance from the fiery furnace.
-Daniel, refusing to pray only to the king, is thrown into the lion's den. God shut the mouth's of the lions but later opened them again when the bad guys were thrown into the den.
-Belshazzar's blasphemous feast when he used the gold goblets from the holy temple for his guests; the handwriting on the wall and Daniel's interpretation-Came true that night.

Daniel had several visions and we are still waiting for the fulfillment of parts of them.
If you read the introduction to Daniel in a good study Bible, you will understand the visions better.

I am fascinated by many of the word pictures and phrases in Daniel.

Some of them are:
..."and the God who holds your breath in His hand and owns all your ways,..."
..."Daniel distinguished himself..because an excellent spirit was in him..."
..."and for the Lord's sake cause Your face to shine on Your sanctuary.."
..."I have come to tell you, for you are greatly beloved;"
..."And in his place shall arise a vile person,...he shall come in peacably,
and seize the kingdom by intrigue."
..."Both these king's hearts shall be bent on evil, and they shall speak lies at the same table;"

.."but the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits."

And look for this to happen:
Ch. 11:33-35-" And those of the people who understand shall instruct many;
yet for many days they shall fall by sword and flame, by captivity and plundering.
Now when they fall,they shall be aided with a little help; but many shall join with them by intrigue.
And some of those of understanding shall fall,
to refine them, purify them,
and make them white, until the time of the end;..."

These lovely words were given to Daniel and are recorded at the end of his book.
"But you, go your way till the end; for you shall rest, and will arise to your inheritance at the end of the days."

The book of Daniel is a reread; an over and over reread.

4 comments:

Lynne Burkholder said...

I'll just blab and blab in your wee little comment section. We have taught the children in Sunday School, "Dare to Be a Daniel."
They request this song every week. I know they are gonna need it for their times.
I love the words and I love Daniel. I am anxious to chew the fat with him in heaven.

Annie said...

Yes. I feel the same way. Also, Joseph. I love that guy. Annie

I love you blabbing, by the way.

I just came back from Helen's and Lynn Furhman was there with Rachel and Jacob. It made me miss you.
I ate way too much pizza.

Lynne Burkholder said...

chuckling about the pizza........I ate way too much corn tonight with cherries and drank far too much cider.....does that make your tummy feel better? I would love to see Lynn Furhman!

Annie said...

yes, my tummy feels better. Did you butter your corn? A~