Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Gems From Mother's Journal

Taken from her 1994/95 red journal.

This was a week of doing things for others (freezing corn, having Marlin's here for apple dumplings, making apple pies to take as a dessert, buying potatoes for Landis Home's, etc.)
and I wondered why I felt this un-ease instead of satisfaction of 'doing for others-the un-ease of so much not done, I guess. Now I read in Barclay "Daily Celebration" that for Jesus to help others "WAS A COSTLY THING. IT CANNOT BE OTHERWISE FOR US."

In thinking more of the Israelites and the lessons to be learned from their mistakes- They called to God in a major, crisis situation and God heard and delivered them. But how soon their appreciation for His deliverance was forgotten. The mundane drudgery of the daily journey is what became a snare to them and caused their downfall. "AND THE PEOPLE BECAME IMPATIENT BECAUSE OF THE JOURNEY.'" I can identify with that. What a terrible price they had to pay for their impatient complaining and their loss of gratitude for former victories! May I observe and learn-and fear!

I have wondered that if those who are in heaven can really see us as some writers believe, how can there no be sorrow at the suffering of their loved ones here? Maybe it is because they know why God is allowing the suffering and what the end of the story is-the way I feel as I read Job's story about his emotional, physical and spiritual suffering. If I didn't know why he was going through this and the end of the story, I would feel much sorrier for him. Instead I think, 'O dear Job, just wait, glorious days are ahead for you. God has been there all the time. You are His proving ground. It is not what you think. He is not unjust in His dealings with you-not punishing you for sins you didn't commit. He rewards you for coming through this severe testing with your faith still intact.'

No comments: