Monday, August 31, 2009

Hertzler Doings~Aug.31-Sept.7, 2009

Mon.-Phil was home working in the office today. The cool autumn air was invigorating. I went for a walk that was shortened by cold rain. I washed clothes and cleaned the back room where we've all been dumping our things. Phil bought me four mums when he was out running errands. I know just the spot for them.


Tues.-Great day at school. We are studying some music theory, vocal exercises, Fanny Crosby, Mozart, and some music for our Christmas and spring program. I was eating salad at lunch and some of the little girls were begging for some. Interesting. We danced with our crayons on big scrap paper to Mozart's 'Eine Kleine Nacht Musik.' Really fun. Fanny Crosby became blind at 6 weeks old from strong poultices put on her eyes. Walked in Appomattox during my break and found a Webster's dictonary-large-at Salvation Army for one dollar! Walked with Susan later in the eve. Naomi and I talked for awhile about life...


Wed-I've been teaching the children about Fanny Crosby. She has had 5,900 hymns and 2000 poems published. One of my second graders asked me a question, something like this,"If God knew that she was going to love Him so much and do these things for Him, why did He let her become blind?" I told her that I didn't know but that Fannie herself rejoiced in her blindness, because she felt it gave her a close relationship with God. We talked about distractions and how she could focus on her writing when their weren't so many things to see. The little girl who asked me the question is only seven years old. I've noticed many times before that she has a maturity and perception beyond her years. My seventeen year old son can sit down and have a wise conversation with her. I wonder what the future holds for her. Only seven years old and already able to verbalize the age-old question-"Why do bad things happen to good people?"


Thurs.-Not feeling that great. Walked to the river with the happy dogs. Barely made it back. Played around with Face book, read 'The Client', washed clothes, picked and froze tomatoes, etc. Decided to give myself a more restful day and not push so hard. It seems like I need Thursdays to recover from teaching Tues. and Wed.


Fri.-Had more energy today. Cleaned the house, made biscotti, whole-grain pizza's and pancakes. Did more wash. Katie Hertzler and Erik Weaver arrived around 4:30. We visited and ate pizza and then they decided to shorten the life of one of our fowl, and the next thing I knew, they were bound for the river to make roast duck for a second supper. I saw white feathers and webbed feet sticking out of the bucket. I hope they de-feather it before roasting it. These cousins do wild things when they get together and they usually have something to do with killing and roasting an animal. Last time, it was an unfortunate snapping turtle that met its maker. They are down there now. I have the house to myself.


Sat.-The kids relaxed and watched some TV in the morning. Ran around on the farm vehicles later and went fishing in the swamp. Freeman and Michael dipped the fish in a corn meal combination. Very good. Katie, Susan, and I made my famous chocolate cake and as soon as I iced it, we had big pieces of it. Oh my word. Later, in the eve., all of the kids here went over to the Martins and played Risk. I picked up Katie and Susan around 9 and we watched 'The Sound of Music.' The guys stayed at Martin's until after 1:00, playing halo.


Sun.-Went to church after a leisurely morning at home. Susan graduated from Kingdom Kid's and next Sunday, she will be with us in church. Went to the Chinese restaurant for lunch. Alli came home with Freeman after church. Erik, Chad, and Joel went snow boarding at Liberty this afternoon. Katie and Susan are doing homework, Michael and Philip are out walking some where, Alli and Freeman are watching a movie, Phil is taking a nap and I am baking a cake and blogging. The cousins are going over to the Martin's for supper tonight.

Mon. Labor Day-Katie and Eric left around 12:30 and got home around 8:20. Took a wrong turn somewhere. Phil and Freeman were making silage. Philip and Michael were setting up decoys for dove season. Susan and I were working around the house. I took a 2 hour nap. Nice mix of labor, rest, and fun for Labor Day. Rained toward evening. Came to grips with my homesickness and realized I am where I am supposed to be.

No comments: