Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hertzler Doings-Aug.24-30, 2009

Mon.-Went to chiro. in morning. She is trying to help me get my body back in motion after I stepped on Roxy and fell last Wed. Still very stiff and in enough pain that I can't sleep at night. It will get better. Went to CCA's Open House and Susan got her things settled into her homeroom. Makenzie was there and oh, joyful surprise, she will be there for several months at least. Susan didn't know she was going to come to school and she is one happy camper. I made some individual lasagna noodles for supper. Wrapped cheeses and turkey sausage in a lasagna noodle and covered with sauce and cheese. Froze a bunch for future lunches. Phil in Richmond and I missed him more because I knew he was close to home. I wouldn't let myself miss him when he was in Atlanta because then I'd get too blue.

Tues.-First day of school. I have one class around 9:00 and the next class at 12:30. I am counting on getting my blogging done on this day. I am in the computer lab now. I want to teach the children some of the old hymns and add the newer version arrangements. I want to teach them about Fanny Crosby and other composers. Mozart was playing beautiful music at age 4. I am also teaching some theory and some old fun songs. It will be a good year. What a great school to be a part of. Susan has 6 in her class-3 girls and 3 boys.



Wed.-2nd day of school. Went really well. I like the smaller class size. I can give them more attention and let them be more free. Went out to Farmville in the eve. for church functions.

Thurs.-Day at home. So nice. Doing wash, making bread, etc.

Fri.-Picked Susan up at 11:15 and took her to church to meet her ride to The Friend's Retreat in W. Va. Lindsay, Emma, Adi, and I went to the Longwood cafeteria for lunch. Met more students. Gil whistled at Lindsay when we walked in. Ran errands until suppertime. Went back to Lindsay's and she had made individual chicken potpies that were out of this world. Carleen called and informed us that the movie we were planning to watch-Julie and Julia-was not gone to be shown after all. We met Carleen shortly after and went to see The Time Traveler's Wife. Amber and Carol and Stephanie were there too and we had a great time together but the movie was really too weird. On the way home, Lindsay and I saw a familiar vehicle in front of us and we followed the person the whole way home. I think we scared her a little. It was alot of fun.

Sat.-Went out to CCA-school-for the pork roast barbecue fund raiser. Phil and Freeman cooked the pigs. Steve and Mattie came out to get the fat and skin and I had such a nice time with her. I showed her around school and she was very encouraging. I carried a pan of pork in that was covered with foil. When inside, I opened the pan a little bit and a yellow jacket flew out with a piece of pork in its mouth. He was flying low and slow. Cleaned house in the afternoon and got most of the garden things in. Tomatoes are still producing and I need to dig up sweet potatoes. I should wear chest waders to go in there. The weeds are way over my head.
It rained and stormed and then the sun came out but it was still drizzling. We saw a rainbow that looked like it began and ended on our property. Michael and Freeman ran down to stand in it. It stayed that way a long time, brilliant and beautiful. I talked with mother while I laid on my bed, watching the rainbow and its double. Mother is doing better on her meds. Her fever is gone this week. First time since April. She is starting to knit and bake again. So thankful.
Oh-today I got a licorice pipe in the mail from Naomi. She went to the shore with her girls. Every time the shore girls go to the shore, we go up to the boardwalk and the first thing I do is buy a black licorice pipe, in memory of my dad, because that's what I would do with him at the shore. I ate the whole thing as I came down the lane from the mailbox.

Sun.-Great church service. Sermon was based on the idea that if we want to experience what the early church experienced, we have to do the things that the early church did. Phil and I went thru the taco bell drive thru for lunch and then out to visit Rich and Lynah for an hour or two. Philip spent his day with Christi who is going on a short-term missions trip. Freeman and Alli came here for the day and Michael and his friends were down at the river. Phil and I picked up Susan at church around 5:30. Susan, Amy, Haley, Lee, Miss Julie, and Miss Phyllis had spent the weekend at The Friend's Retreat. She especially enjoyed the worship leader-P.A. Lynn's sister. We went from there to the PA picnic at Holliday Lake. Quite a few families have moved down from PA to this area. It was like having a family reunion. We all brought food and the children enjoyed a peanut scramble and the teenagers were playing volleyball against their dads. It was really great to reconnect with old friends that we've known for a long time.

No comments: