Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wet

It rained 2 1/2 inches last evening and most of it came down on our drive home from Farmville in the dark of night. I put my 4-ways on and straddled the middle of the highway, going about 39 mph during the heaviest deluge.

Today, it is raining again, without the danger that comes with thunder and lightning.
Susan said, "I want to go out and run in the rain."
I said, "Go out and run in the rain."
The dogs joyfully ran by her side,
splashing in the warm puddles hidden in the grass.

After watching their dance in the rain
through the safety of my bedroom window,
I threw caution to the wind.
Michael, Susan and I decided to check out the river.
I put on my hot pink raincoat with the bright plaid lining.
We piled two inner tubes in the back of the gator.

Michael drove his four-wheeler
and the dogs
thought they had died and went to heaven
as we all splashed down to the river.
They cocked their heads to one side;
wondering if we had lost our minds.
Michael and Susan went tubing in the muddy torrent
as I stood under the leaky trees
with the rain making inroads into the flannel lining
of my raincoat.
It was time to come back all too soon.
We came dripping into the house,
using old towels like slippers to move
towards the wonderful hot showers.

I'm making homemade cocoa
to warm up our insides
and to help switch our internal gears
to accomplish the mundane
jobs still demanding our attention
on this beautiful rainy day.

No comments: