Friday, August 21, 2009

Book Report~Numbers

Some notes taken from New Spirit Filled Life Bible

Author: Moses
Date: About 1400 B.C.
Theme: Yahweh's Guiding Presence for the Journey from Sinai to Transjordan
Key Words: Census, Murmuring, Purity, Tabernacle of Meeting

The book of Numbers is definitely in my top five least favorite books of the Bible, but after reading the notes in the beginning of the book, I wish I had paid more attention.

Twelve men went to spy in Canaan, ten were bad and two were good...that's one of the more familiar stories recorded in Numbers.(13:33-"..we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.") Significant words.

Christ is revealed in Numbers as The Provider. He gave them water and spiritual drink.

I have a question. When did the Jewish people stop sacrificing animals for the remission of sins? If they do not believe that Jesus was the Passover Lamb, why are they not still continuing to sacrifice? Maybe they are and I just don't know about it.

I also feel bad for Moses. He struck the rock the second time instead of speaking to it. Water came out of it but because of his disobedience, he was not able to go into the promised land. I think the Israelites had just driven him crazy and he reacted to them and took it out on the rock.
But I understand God's point of view, too. The rock was a type of Christ, and He was only to be struck (crucified) once. Moses messed up the type and for that, he paid.

There are some wonderful verses in Numbers, but my favorite ones are in Chapter 6:24-26-

"The Lord bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace."

And I pray that for you, my reader, my friend.

No comments: