Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Unhealthy Optimism

Whenever I read Revelation, I get stuck on the concept of luke-warmness.

Revelation 3:15,16 -Jesus says," I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth..."

Not a pretty picture.

I am an optimistic person.
I see life with my glass half full.
If someone expresses concern to me about another's behavior,
I tend to believe the best about them both.
I am thankful that someone is concerned and as for the person in question,
I will think and say, 'Just look how far they've come.'

I wonder if that kind of optimism is detrimental when it comes to luke-warmness.

Those of us who see our cup of life as half full instead of half empty
may look at the lukewarmness in our lives or another
and think,
"Well, at least I am half hot. At least I am somewhat warm.
I'm not like that cold fish over there."
And we see the half hotness as good.

But,
Jesus wants it to be all or nothing.
No halfway temperature for Him.

Jesus can't do a whole lot with the self-satisfied lukewarm optimist.
They see themselves as rich and as having need of nothing.

Jesus would rather we'd be poor and empty and cold
than to perceive ourselves as rich and half-full and half-warm.

He can do something with the poor.
'Blessed are the poor in spirit...theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.'

He can do something with the empty.
'He who drinks of me shall never thirst again.'

He can do something with the cold and naked.
'Buy from me white garments, that you may be clothed.'

Those who think they are fine
won't bother coming to Him.

Unhealthy optimism looks like this:
Rev. 3:17-"Because you say,'I am rich, have become wealthy, have need of nothing'
-and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked-"...

Healthy Poverty looks like this:
Rev. 3:18-"I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see."

Don't be disheartened.
He goes on to say, "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent."

He wants us to be rich and clothed and covered. He wants us to see.
He wants to do this His way.

How do we allow Him to do this work in our lives?
Rev. 3:20 says it all.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock.
If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,
I will come into him and dine with him,
and He with Me."

Hear.
Open.
Dine.

What a fellowship..
What a joy divine...

No comments: