Friday, April 17, 2009

April 9-16, 2009-Hertzler Doings

Busy week. Spring break. Little time to blog.

April 9-Took Susan to Dr. She also has bronchitis. Went to Babcock House in eve. for CCA's ring ceremony. Whole family went. Other teachers, PTF members, families also there. Great to see Jerry and Sheila again. Took pictures of Clarissa and Michael and their families. Ate. Marcie shared some of the history of class rings. Dr. Hubler presented the rings to Clarissa and Michael and prayed a wonderful blessing over them. Michael loves his blue sapphire class ring. He had to get a ring guard put on it since he's lost over 40 pounds.

April 10-We read the Easter story together as a family. Shared thoughts and a prayer. Philip and Freeman finished laying in the old boards in the old house room we are remodeling. Phil worked up the garden. Phil, Michael, and Freeman planted peas, snap peas, kohlrabi, radishes, lettuce, spinach, carrots, etc. Phil and Mike drove straw to Hertzler's beyond Cumberland. Had truck radiator trouble. Freeman went to pick them up. Freeman out to eat with Alli in eve. to celebrate her 21st birthday. Jeanne came over in afternoon to pick up her chocolate eggs. I took her down to river to share in my joy over the carpet of bluebells. Showed her my little chapel. She loved it all. Called mother in eve. She has diverticulitis. I needed to hear her voice. I've been praying for America and the captain of the navy ship who's being held hostage by pirates. Praying for an Easter miracle. What a symbol he is of Jesus-laying his life down for his friends...being taken captive by sin and death so we can go free. Watched 'My Friend Flicka' with Susan. Zach and Philip went fishing in afternoon.

April 11-Everyone turkey hunting but Mike and I. Trouble with cows. Poor Mike. He later went to Davis' to help them move. Freeman shot a turkey and grilled it for supper. Very good. I made small peanut butter and coconut eggs and made the family Easter baskets of their very own. Susan super cleaned her room. I made mashed potatoes, large salad, and bread to take to Tom's tomorrow.

April 12-Mom called-"The Lord is Risen!" "He is risen indeed!" Our traditional Easter morning greeting. Went to Tom and Helen's after church. We had ham, chicken, sweet potatoes, gourmet mashed potatoes, baked corn, creamed spinach, sauteed mushrooms, salad, rolls, fruit salad and cookies for late lunch. Alli came. Philip hid plastic eggs for Susan, Abby, and Serena. Played Pick one. Got some sun. Watched home videos. Tommy and Freeman shot a rifle. It was Helen's 48th birthday. Michael and Philip went to Martin's in eve. to be with Harvest Youth Group. Found out God had given us the Easter Miracle we had prayed for-the navy captain had been set free! Thank you God!

Helen told me a funny story. Their family takes care of a two year old and his little sister. Helen and her older girls were in the kitchen. They heard Abigale-9-teach Zeb how to wash his hands. "You put soap on your hands and wash them with water and you tell those germs to go to hell." They were stunned. Could they possibly have heard correctly? Helen took Abby back to her room and commended her for teaching Zeb how to wash his hands. "Can you tell me what you said to him?" She didn't repeat it. Helen came out and told the girls. " I think it's theologically correct." She told this story to a friend of hers. Her friend said, " Did you hear what Serena said?" "No..." "Serena told my daughter, 'I think your brother likes me.' "Why do you think that?" her little friend asked. Serena replied, "Duh...I'm pretty?" She is too.

April 13-Happy Birthday Alan! Alan is 54. He is my sibling closest to me in age. He was always kind to me and taught me to throw a mean football, shoot baskets, ride horse, spike for fish, etc. I can still hear him saying, "Good throw!" He's one of the world's best auctioneers. He loves poetry and nature and his family and God.
Susan and I shopped in Lynchburg all day. I don't like to shop. I was ready to be done before we were done. Looking for a wedding dress for Susan. Found wedding shoes for me. No dress for Susan. Saw Missi's van at mall and met her at Cracker Barrel for supper two hours later. Cell phones do come in handy. Home by 8:00. Naomi called. Told me funny story. She got stopped by cop in N.J. for talking on cell phone. Fined $130! Just as she was being pulled over, her daughter, who was travelling back from Va. Beach with her dad, texted her, and said they were being pulled over by a cop. Going 82 in a 65 mph zone. Had no license or owner's card with him. Cop asked him why he was going so fast. Said he was trying to get his daughter, Orpah, home. She had run a marathon in Va. Beach. Cop went to check things out. Said, "Mr. P, I'm going to let you go. That marathon your daughter ran in was a cancer awareness marathon. I am a cancer survivor." It became an emotionally charged encounter. Naomi thought this was totally unfair-that she was fined for breaking a law she didn't know about and her dad was let go. She tells the wildest stories about her dad.

April 14,15-Gil and Lindsay brought Emma and Adi here at 6:40 in the morning. Gena came later and washed windows, etc. Michael helped me make homemade pizza. Took pictures of G. down by bluebells. Gena and Susan played "Spoons" with spoons and cards. Emma slept in Susan's bed and Adi slept in portable crib in our room. Philip won Emma's heart. She hugs and kisses him and says, "I love you sooo much." Emma sings, "Yeah, Jesus loves me...Yeah, Jesus loves me..." They draw and play with play dough an hour at a time. Incredible attention span. Emma told Michael that her mommy, her daddy, her Adison, her Liza (dog) and her Emma are all going to come live with us. Emma cried whole way home when Gil and Lindsay picked them up.
Phil went to doctor Tues-sinus infection. Pretty sick man.

April 16-Phil took all four kids to N.C. leaving at 4:00 in the morning to go gem treasure hunting. Great experience. Table full of all sorts of gems and crystals. They want to go back. I went to Daily Grind. Met Helen there for her birthday breakfast. Went to Caryn's for a dress fitting. Could have gone a size smaller! Banked with Ruthie and met Lisa H. for lunch. Went to Flowers and Millers. Picked up Lindsay and Mia and took them along with me to B & M Greenhouse. Dropped them off and went to Goodwill, Lowe's, Cato's and Wal-mart. They moved things around in there and it took me longer than usual. Came home, put groceries away, tidied kitchen and the troops came home. Phil pretty wiped. Philip left to go play a rousing game of Rook with friends. The others laid newspapers and towels on the table and rediscovered their treasures. They have some real gems, literally.

No comments: