Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Blogging

Blogging gives me an avenue to express my own thoughts and express the ideas of others smarter and wiser than me. Every time I read a book, I am mentored by the author. Every time I hear a sermon I am taught by the speaker. And I, in turn, want to collect what I've learned from them and reiterate it in such a way as to solidify my understanding and so that others can understand it also.

I think blogging is good for my brain. We exercise our arms, legs, and heart when we walk briskly and lift weights. Our brain is a muscle that needs exercise. When I am inspired to write, the words just flow, and I don't have to work hard. When I am writing a book report or trying to capture the essence of a sermon in a few paragraphs, my brain has to work hard, and I think to myself, "This will keep me from getting Alzheimer's."

I write about what we do as a family because I so quickly forget. Life is busy and I want my children to have something to remind them of the things we actually did. I want to tell them about my childhood and their father's childhood. I want them to know the history of the Hertzler's and the Diffenbach's in a tangible sort of way.

Sometimes, I read something in the Bible, and I want to share it with whoever will take the time to read it. I find a treasure and I want you to have it too. My mother has entrusted me with her Bible Study Journals, and I glean from them and share the gems I gather.

I blog because I do not always speak well. I do not always write well, either, but no one is being forced to read my words and act politely about it.

I blog because I battle the scorning words I hear in my head, "Who do you think you are?"
I hear them when I pray for someone, or express an opinion about something, or treat someone "over" me as if they are my peer. I will not give into those words. The day I do, I will stop praying for others. I will stop expressing my opinion and writing my thoughts. I will stop loving the humanity of those who have been placed on a lonely pedestal because of their vocation or position in life.

I write because I know of at least ten people who read my blog on a regular basis, and I have something to say that I think they may need to hear, and I have something to say, that they want to hear, just because they love me.

I checked my viewer status on my profile today. It shows that my profile has been checked into 430 times. This does not mean that 430 people are reading my blog. It just means that my profile has been opened that many times, including the times I have checked into my viewer status. It can be a bit daunting, to think that there are people who are reading what I write. There was a comment on my 'Mother Mary' writing from someone I didn't know. There is so much about cyberspace that I don't understand.

My friend, Lisa H. said, "Who knows? Maybe someone will come upon your blog and come to know Christ through your writings." Wouldn't that be something? I would like that. If someone could read what I write and want to know Jesus, that would be the best thing of all.

And so I write. I write because I want to, and not because I think I am good at it. I write to combat the fear in the question, "What do you have to say that anyone would want to hear?" I write to write and to be honest, I write to be heard. I write to record daily life so that there will be something for my children to read when I am gone. I write so the things in my brain can come down through my arms and type through my fingers so I have more room in my brain to learn more wonderful things. I write because life is too precious to not be shared.

I write for myself.
I write for my family.
I write for you.
I write for God.
I write.

No comments: