Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's on Your Gravestone?

The story about Enoch has always fascinated me.

We don't know much about him.

Hebrews 11:5 says it this way,
"By faith Enoch was taken away
so that he did not see death,
and was not found,
Because God had taken him;
For before He was taken
He had this testimony,
THAT HE PLEASED GOD."

In other words,
if he had stayed around and died like a normal person,
his gravestone would have been engraved with the words,
"ENOCH PLEASED GOD."

Hebrews goes on to say that Enoch pleased God because He had faith in God.
So God just took him because He wanted to have him with Him.

Just think of the funeral costs we could save our family.


4 comments:

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Sounds like a good way to save money, in this economy :)

So do you think God took any other people like he took Enoch? I would think if he did it once, he probably did it more than once, I mean there's been a lot of people in the world throughout all of history.

And what do you think Enoch's family thought of him suddenly being gone?

Annie said...

And how did they know that God had taken him and not some wild animal?
In Va., you can get permission to be buried on your own property.
There are little graveyards around here on people's property.
Thanks for the comment. Annette

Jeanne said...

I didn't know you could get permission to be buried on your property. I've joked with John that this is where I want to stay - now I have a plan.

Now as for Enoch, I wonder what that is like - God just taking you away? Like Elijah or others?

Thank you for your writings. It always brightens my day.

Annie said...

If you check with a local funeral home, I think you could find out more about the laws. Thanks for your comment. Annette