Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Book Report-1,11 Timothy

Phil has been using the computer a lot these past weeks. Book Reports have been piling up and today, since he is working over in the old house, and I cannot exert myself due to having bronchitis, I am catching up on some of them.

Author: Paul
Date: About A.D. 64
Theme: Removal of false doctrine, preservation of public worship, and proper leadership in the church
Key Words: Carefulness, Watchfulness, Strength, Commitment

(Some direct quotes from NKJV-The New Spirit Filled Bible)

Paul wrote 11 Tim. during his second Roman imprisonment. If Paul had not spent so much time in prison, you and I would probably not be reading these wonderful letters.
Timothy's mother, Eunice, was married to a Gentile. Timothy was born to that union. Paul and Timothy became close friends and Paul later added him to his apostolic party.

The Timothy books have been a great encouragement to church leaders throughout the entire church age. Paul "encourages pastors to nourish their own souls first in the words of faith and good doctrine and then teach their people the essentials of faith. Practicing godliness in his own conduct, he must bring his congregation to do the same."

Some favorite verses:

1 Tim. 2:1-4
"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.
For it is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."

1 Tim. 4:12-
"Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. "

1 Tim. 6:17-19-
"Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy.
Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share,
storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. "

11 Tim. 1:6,7-
"Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

11 Tim. 4:7,8-
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We can read the Bible like we eat a Happy Meal. We inhale it, barely chew it and quickly swallow it down. We have eaten but have not been nourished-much.
We can read the Bible like we eat a full-course meal. We can take our time and savor each bite and allow its goodness to saturate our souls.
We can read the Bible like we eat a cup of soup. We sip it slowly and take in just a little and are satisfied with the warmth and fullness it brings.

In some seasons of life, we gather the crumbs that fall from the table. In another season or another day, we take in just a little, and our souls are satisfied. In others, we get to eat the whole loaf and drink the whole bottle and we are full to overflowing.

In any given week, I eat every kind of meal there is.
In any given week, I partake of every season.
I eat and I partake and I am satisfied, but I am always hungry for more.

No comments: