Friday, April 17, 2009

Book Report-Titus

Paul wrote this letter to Titus in order to encourage him with his task of organizing, instructing, and appointing leaders for the churches of Crete. He also warned him in regards to false teachers, and gave him instructions on how to exhort men and women of all ages and position.

The verse I take most seriously in Titus is written to the older woman. As much as I, myself, want to be mentored and feel uneasy and inadequate in the role I find myself in, I know that I have to grow up and take responsibility for those who are younger than me in age and faith. Even though I don't have it together, I am becoming increasingly aware that just the crumbs that fall from my table, are enough to feed the hungry. These are the sobering verses.

Titus 2:3-5-"...the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not give to much wine, teachers of good things-that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed."

It is a sobering word, but it is also a liberating word. Sometimes I feel that I am not doing enough for the sake of the gospel. I could be busier and more visible. This verse encourages me to strengthen the foundations; the home. If the home is falling apart, the word of God will be scoffed at. Oh the freedom, to be a homemaker; to be told that loving my children and my husband is the best thing I can do to keep the gospel pure. Our homes reflect whether or not the gospel is true. The younger generation is watching closely to see how it is done.

Oh God, help me. Help us all to live close to You, so your Word is not blasphemed in our lives. Help us not to be so busy with good and urgent things that we miss what is most important-Our Homes.

My Home is my throne.
My Home is my fruit.
My Home is where He makes me into His image.
My Home is where my Garden of Eden is.
My Home is where God is.

No comments: