Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Book Report-The Psalms

I will be taking some notes from the commentary in my Bible-'New Spirit Filled Life Bible'-NKJV.

Authors: David, Asaph, Sons of Korah, and Others
Date: 1000-300 B.C.
Theme: Communion with God in Prayer and Praise
Key Words: Rejoice, Mercy, Lovingkindness, Praise, Enemies, Lord, Righteousness

Interesting notes:
Moses and David wrote some of the Psalms from Ps. 90-106.
David wrote most of Ps. 1-41. He also wrote some of the Ps. 107-150.
Asaph was King David's choirmaster. He wrote a number of the Psalms.

The word 'Selah' is used 71 times in the Psalms.
It comes from a root meaning 'to lift up.'
This could mean an increase in volume, or a pause in the music.
It could also have signified a break in the singing for prostrations. Interesting...

King David organized choirs and orchestras and appointed skilled conductors and composers to lead the worship. He also invented musical instruments.

Worshippers are instructed in the Psalms to clap, lift their hands, bow, stand, shout, and dance.
About half of the OT references to the Messiah quoted in the NT are taking from The Psalms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Psalms are well-loved because they combine humanities laments over life's challenges with God's deliverance and comfort in the midst of trouble.
As the reader enters into the heart's cry of the writer, they can also enter into the heart's cry of God for His people and experience for themselves His love.
I like to worship God in a quieter way than some.
But, I noticed something in Ps. 150, the last Psalm recorded.
It's a strong call to worship.
My Bible notes call this kind of worship "extreme praise."
The Hebrew translation of this kind of praise means "to shine, boast, rave, and to celebrate clamorously."
I think I will just write it out for you.

PRAISE the LORD!
Praise God in His sanctuary;
Praise Him in His mighty firmament!
Praise Him for His mighty acts;
Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
Praise Him with the lute and harp!
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance;
Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
Praise Him with loud cymbals;
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD!

I know how to praise Him quietly.
I press into Him and set my love on Him.
I can see His smile and feel His love.

But I don't know how to praise Him with this kind of abandonment.
It's probably not a matter of 'not knowing how', it's more of a matter of not wanting to be seen in public worshipping Him in this way. It's probably a matter of pride.
Maybe I'll take the box of classroom instruments down to my little chapel
and practice worshipping God where only He can hear.
Maybe He'll tell me to 'Be still and know that He is God.'
Or, maybe He'll join me in my dance.

No comments: