Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Book Report-Jeremiah

Notes taken from NKJV-The New Spirit Filled Life Bible

Author: Jeremiah
Date: 626-586 B.C.
Theme: Failure to Repent will lead to Destruction
Key Words: Repentance, Restoration

I have always felt pretty sorry for Jeremiah.
His life portrayed the prophesies he gave.
For example, God commanded him not to marry or have any children to illustrate his message that judgment was pending (due to the Israelites disobedience and worship of idols) and that the next generation would be swept away. His message was one of doom but He dearly loved and grieved for the people that he was warning.
He was a youth when he was called to carry the message of judgement to his people. Some branded him as a traitor because of his preaching, even though he had their best interests in mind.

Some of my favorite verses in Jeremiah have helped me in my times of struggle with the dreaded 'fear of man.' So often, I look into people's faces and 'read' what they think of me. It's silly, really, because what is on their faces reflects who they are and what they are going through and has nothing to do with me. I like this verse:

Jer. 1:8-"Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you, " says the Lord."


I love these verses from Jer. 9:23,24-

"Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
Let not the mighty man glory in his might,
Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
But let him who glories glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the LORD,
exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth.
For in these I delight, "says the LORD.

These are some scriptures I felt God lead me to in regard to our move to Virginia.
They are on my bedroom wall, at least I think they are still there.:)

Jer. 32:40,41-

"And I will make an everlasting covenant with you, that I will not turn away from doing you good; but I will put My fear in your hearts so that you will not depart from Me.
Yes, I will rejoice over you to do you good, and I will assuredly plant you in this land, with all My heart and with all My soul."

I am sure God rewarded Jeremiah for his faithfulness.
I am sure He gave him joy for his sorrow, a hundredfold and more.

No comments: