Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Story

This morning, I was thinking about baby Jesus and started thinking up this story....

" I came in the stable door, just as the shepherds were leaving. Each one seemed to be carrying a bundle, hidden under their cloaks. Their faces, worn and wrinkled, were aglow with wonder and hope.

Joseph walked out with the shepherds, so I was alone with Mary and the baby in her arms. She looked so young and so wise. "Can I hold Him," I asked, breathlessly.

"Would you, please?" she asked. " I need to go freshen up."
I was glad she trusted me. We had never met before.

Soon, I was alone in the stable.
I held Him.
I smelled His baby head. He smelled like straw and cattle feed and earth.
He smelled like angel's breath and mother's milk.

I kissed his eyelids and He opened them.
"He recognizes me," I thought with wonder. "He knows me."
My heart felt black with sin when I saw His loving gaze.
"What hope have I if I can't have you with me, " I despaired.
"I cannot give you up. I have to have you. You are coming home with me."

I wrapped Him up and hid Him under my cloak, just as I saw Mary coming through the door. "Good-bye, Mary," I said guiltily. "I need to go now."

"Good-bye. Thanks for coming. Thanks for giving me a little break," she said, as she leaned over and picked Baby Jesus up from the manger. "Time to eat," she crooned to Him.

And then, I understood.

I understood that there was enough of Him to go around.

I could carry Him with me all my days.

The shepherds could carry Him with them all of their days.

He would be who we were meant to be.
He would be our goodness and mercy.
He would be our Savior and Messiah.
He would be our food and our water.

He would be our deliverance from evil within and without.
He would be our comfort and joy.
He would be our God.

And so I carry Him.
I feed Him with His Father's milk and meat and bread.
 I feed Him with the songs and fellowship of others who carry Him as well. And I carry Him to those who do not yet know that they can hold Him too.

Oh, Precious Baby.
Oh, Precious Son of God.


No comments: