Wednesday, December 24, 2008

December 24, 2008

Today, Susan and I went out to Farmville. I would have gone earlier this week, but I didn't have a car. We went to several shops in town, ate at the Chinese Restaurant, and headed for Walmart. I pretended to boo-hoo before I got out at Walmart." I don't wanna go to Walmart," I hissy-fitted. Susan was getting a little tired of my drama.

We went in. People were everywhere. Carts were like cars on a freeway, blocking traffic for miles. We even had to come back after we were halfway home to pick up a much needed timer for the frog's heat lamp. 
 
But, I write all this to say, not once did I see a frown or hear an impatient word throughout this whole day. People were smiling and kind. I heard, "Thank-you, sweetie," and "That's OK, dear," and "Get in line in front of me," all day long.  Complete strangers told me their holiday plans.  I helped an older gentlemen figure out what kind of crackers he should get from his wife's grocery list. Everyone felt like a friend and the friends we did see were more precious than ever.

Jesus was at Walmart today. I saw him in the gracious man with the tatoos going up his neck and his beard tied in rubberbands at the bottom. I saw Him in the friendly smiles, and kind words, and warm hugs.
The angels proclaimed, "Peace on earth, goodwill toward men."

Today I experienced anew, the fulfillment of their words.