Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"IF"by Amy Carmichael

Amy says it well. These are difficult words for difficult times. Read slowly and thoughtfully.

"If
I am perturbed by the reproach and misunderstanding that may follow action taken for the good of souls for whom I must give account;
If I cannot commit the matter and go on in peace and silence, remembering Gethsemane and the cross, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If
I cannot bear to be like the father who did not soften the rigors of the far country; if, in this sense, I refuse to allow the law of God (the way of the transgressors is hard) to take effect, because of the distress it causes me to see that law in operation, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If
in dealing with one who does not respond, I weary of the strain, and slip from under the burden, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If
I deal with wrong for any other reason than that implied in the words, 'From His right hand went a fiery law for them. Yea, He loved the people'; If I can rebuke without a pang, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If
my attitude be one of fear, not faith, about one who has disappointed me; if I say, 'Just as I expected,' if a fall occurs, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If
I sympathize weakly with weakness, and say to the one who is turning back from the cross, 'Pity thyself'; if I refuse such a one the sympathy that braces and the brave and heartening word of comradeship, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If
I cannot keep silence over a disappointing soul (unless for the sake of that soul's good or for the good of others it be necessary to speak), then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If
I am afraid to speak the truth, lest I lose affection, or lest the one concerned should say, "You do not understand," or because I fear to lose my reputation for kindness; if I put my own good name before the other's highest good, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

"If
souls can suffer alongside, and I hardly know it, because the spirit of discernment is not in me, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

I've been seeing alot of Calvary Love.

No comments: