Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Lot

The Lot

Proverbs 16:33~"The lot is cast into the lap,

but every decision is from the LORD."

When I was a young girl, going to Mellinger's Mennonite Church, I remember when a pastor was chosen for the church by the casting of the lot. I remember how somber an occasion it was, as the men, one by one, picked up a book from the pulpit...But, wait. I asked my Uncle Paul, who was a bishop in the Mennonite Church for many years, to explain it to me so my memory would be refreshed. I will use his words he sent me a few days ago, adapting them a little to explain what is understood.

"With the lot, any members could nominate a potential male pastor. Anyone male with three nominations was to be considered.("Two or three witnesses") Anyone could withdraw if he was nominated. Those in the lot met with their wives with bishops and other pastors to consider the sense of the call.
A slip of paper was placed in one of the Bibles with a Bible verse on it. Another person mixed the Bibles.(There were as many Bibles as there were candidates.) Another bishop placed the Bibles. After a time of prayer, the candidates could choose any Bible, usually beginning with the oldest candidate.
When I gave leadership to it, I asked for a vote from the congregation to confirm that all were approved to be considered. Over 50% approval vote was required for any candidate to proceed.
Earlier on, most pastors called were self-employed. Later the lot wasn't used and a pastor was interviewed and then approved by the congregation.
That was always a traumatic experience because so much was involved. I was first licensed as a young pastor, then ordained. The lot was used when I was ordained bishop. I was 29 when chosen."

Thank you, Uncle Paul, for explaining this to all of us. If you have any questions, he has offered to try to answer them.




No comments: