Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hertzler Doings~Dec.5-7

Freeman, Michael, and Susan have been involved with our church's Christmas Musical-"A Storybook Christmas." They had a performance Friday night, Sat. afternoon and Sat. eve. They will have the same schedule next weekend. They are all really enjoying it.

This morning, Michael and Susan went with Phil and I to Christ Church in Appomattox. It meets in our school building. It is an Anglican Church led by the principal of our school, Dr. Hubler. There were pretty greens with red berries strung up all around the sanctuary. Rich and Lynah sat behind us and helped guide us through the liturgical part of the service. It is a much more formal service than what we are used to in the Assembly of God church. Alot of scripture and prayers were read and I was deeply moved by them. Dr. Hubler prayed for our family outloud at one point and the kindness and the significance of the words he used, had me fighting tears for the rest of the service. I had to focus on David Edmonston's Santa Claus Playing Golf tie in order to get ahold of myself.

The whole church went up to the front of the chapel and shared communion together. Dr. H. put a wafer in each outstretched hand and said something like, "The body of our Lord broken for you," as he went around to each person. Everyone who had been baptized could share communion. The younger children, who had not yet been baptized, had a special prayer of blessing spoken over them and a cross was traced on their foreheads and a hand of blessing placed on their heads.
There is such beauty and strength in the reading and hearing of the Word of God. I do not take it for granted. It is always like fresh manna from Heaven, whether I hear it or read it in my own living room, or our church, or another church.
After church, we went to the Hublers for lunch. We ate Margaret's wonderful cauliflower-carrot-cheddar cheese dill soup. We had delicious sandwiches, chips and pickles. I brought cookies for dessert. The girls had shown me around the house. They live in what used to be a Civil War hospital. Time went too quickly and we had to rush back over to church.
At 2:00, we had our schools Christmas program, Lessons and Carols. Amidst the reading of the scriptures from Genesis to John, we had congregational songs and special music by the different grades. There was standing room only and the program lasted about an hour. Everything went smoothly for the most part. While Rindy was playing the second congregational song, someone came and asked me to turn the volume up on the piano. It was an electric piano. So I went up and turned up the volume and the piano went dead. We scrambled around until Allison, the piano's owner came in and turned off the piano and turned it back on again. That was the answer and I didn't mess with the volume after that.
I played Phil's guitar for three of the songs. Someone told me later that very few people can play the guitar like I did. He said that I actually accompanied the songs rather than drowning them out, etc. I told him that it was because I didn't know what I was doing, which was the truth. My fingertips are still numb.
My favorite songs were "The Christmas Lullabye" sung by K-4, "Silent Night" sung by Graham Loy while he played the guitar, and "Hallelujah, Praise Jehovah" sung by 5th and 6th and the whole school.
After the program, the PTF had a nice feast. I got to hold a little baby girl. She was so peaceful. I have her two brothers in school. I would have had her third brother, but he died in an accidental tragedy less than 2 years ago, and I keenly felt the family's loss as I held this little girl. Bittersweet-that's what life is.
We came home and got comfortable. Phil has been playing the guitar and singing Christmas songs for the past hour. Susan has been playing the piano. She played for the prelude today and she was definitely cool under pressure. She did so well. Lindsay called and said that they were there for part of the program. It was so nice to hear that they were there.
I made some buttered popcorn and turned on the Christmas lights.
Tony, Ruth, and Gena came over to get hay. They brought Gena's boxer puppy along. We ate some supper together. I had leftover bear sloppy joe mix and turkey vegetable soup. Ruth and I talked while the other's watched "The Three Stooges." Susan and Michael went to bed at 7:oo.
What a nice day it's been.

No comments: