Friday, December 19, 2008

December Hertzler Memories-2008

Lest I forget amidst the business of this season, I want to write down some precious memories of this past week...

Christi came over and she, Philip, and Susan sat on the living room floor and played with Susan's very tame baby rabbits. Philip laid on his stomach and the girls put the bunnies on his back. As they got too near the sides of his back, they would begin to frantically claw to hold their place and in so doing, were scratching him. He had to whoop and holler a bit and it was alot of fun. I took some pictures of all 5 of them (the bunnies) snuggled together on a pillow.

We got a very special phone call a few days ago. Aunt Annie called with the news that her sweetheart, Dave, had asked her to marry him at midnight a few hours earlier. Their Day will be May 9 and we are so excited for them. She couldn't have a nicer guy and he is getting a rare prize. All the best to them both. Anne is Phil's one and only sister. She has six brothers.

On Wed. night, some of us got together at Missi's and had a nice little feast. It was good to be with some 'old' friends from the diet group.

On Thursday, we gathered at Cornerstone Christian Academy and went as a school group to Richmond. We went to see "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" at the 'live' theatre. The main lady character had to be Betty Gibb's twin sister. Afterwards, we went to Golden Corral. There was probably about 90 of us altogether. I rode with Marcie, Mikayla, and Clarissa. Marcie reminds me of my sister, Rosalee, and I remind her of her sisters and sometimes, the children get Marcie and I mixed up.

Today, we had a half day at school. The children passed out gifts to the teachers and had their gift exchange. The younger grades got to visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus in the chapel. He was very convincing. I almost started to doubt my doubts about his existence. The children told Santa what they wanted and lots of pictures were taken. I got to hold baby Rachel again and I took her around and showed her off. How lovely to work with people who treasure life in the littlest ones and who go all soft and mushy inside when a small baby smiles.
Following Santas debut, we had a large brunch. Different classes had brought in different food. The older class brought in egg and sausage casseroles. There were donuts and fruit and all kinds of good things to eat. I brought home a box of gifts from the students and other teachers~homemade bread and an orange, a silver angel and note cards, Father Christmas, a clear bulb with white feathers inside~stunning, a pewter ornament, silver snowflake earrings, a devotional book, a wooden manger scene ornament with Alyssa and Matthew's name imprinted on it, English Toffee, gourmet chocolates, Chai Tea Soap, and cash. Wow! We gave homemade caramel popcorn to Susan and Michael's male teachers and Bath and Body hand soap to their female teachers. I gave Marcie a homemade plate since I had run out of soap and I knew she would like the plate.

Oh! I can't forget this story. Justin, 1st grade, I think, came up to me and looked towards his lunch table where Santa was being interrogated by his classmates. Justin said, " They're asking him questions...but I know he's not real. Do you know how I know he's not real? If he was real, his beard would be alot longer and his stomach would be alot fatter." You gotta love it.

We sent out and passed out over 200 newsletters this year. Judy took pictures of our family and we put them on the back of the newsletter. It's a great way to keep in touch. My neighbor got one and so did my friend, Gretchen, in Hawaii. Philip even got some beaver trapping business passed on to him because someone read the newsletter.

Tonight, we are going to a church staff party. I'll have to be careful what I write about that. Things can get a little wild.

No comments: